Surprises from one mega-corp

I’ve never been too big on supporting mega-corporations. In fact, I’ve protested Wal-Mart, McDonald’s and Starbucks for about as long as I can remember. I can honestly say I have never had a fiscal interaction with Wal-Mart (unless you include that time I stole a petunia in an act of mutiny). I think these corporations are disrespectful to their providers abroad, their employees and their communities because of their unmanageable size.

Then, I heard about the One Buck Joe. Select Starbucks locations are offering a one dollar cup of drip coffee with free refills. Though they claim it is a random test with no bigger implications, many are speculating otherwise. Perhaps Starbucks is feeling the heat from McDonald’s announcement to install McCafes in its 14,000 U.S. locations. Or perhaps it is reacting to the fact that revenue was down last quarter for the first time in the company’s history.

Whatever the motivation, I was intrigued and decided to dig further.

It took me approximately six mouse clicks to completely change my mind about the company. It turns out, in spite of its size and breadth, Starbucks is uncharacteristically dedicated to social responsibility. It even has a Corporate Social Responsibility Department, which oversees the entire process, “from bean to cup.”

In the fields, Starbucks purchases 30 percent of the nation’s Fair Trade coffee, providing reliable income to struggling countries like Guatemala and Ethiopia. It recycles the burlap bags used to import the beans. Once in stores, Starbucks uses 10 percent post-consumer product cups, saving 78,000 trees annually. It also offers a 10 cent discount to customers using personal mugs, which saved 674,000 pounds of waste in 2006. In the end, Starbucks donates the used coffee grounds to parks and schools as compost. Apparently all environmental bases were covered, but I was still skeptical.

Another click led me to a list of causes that Starbucks supports, including the Guatemala Education Initiative, the African Wildlife Foundation, and the Starbucks Foundations, literacy programs that has provided more than $12 million to over 700 youth.

If I wasn’t convinced yet, I needed only to investigate their employee benefits. Under Starbucks Total Pay insurance, each employee receives income protection, vacation, stock options, tuition reimbursement and comprehensive health care that even covers those abroad on active duty.

Evidently, this monstrosity is getting something right. The company is environmentally conscientious, it treats employees with esteem and it supports more causes than Oprah. Not to mention, it produces one tasty product.

I’m not ready to celebrate the WalDonaldBucks of the world, but I can recognize that these mega-corporations are here to stay. I may as well support the one which has challenged my assumptions and proven itself responsible.

Besides, I can’t wait for that One Buck Joe to hit Evanston.

Medill junior Meredith Laitos can be reached at [email protected].