Student caught stealing from Whole Foods store

Police charged a Northwestern student after he attempted to steal a shopping cart full of groceries from Whole Foods in downtown Evanston Sunday.An employee at the 1640 Chicago Ave. market spotted NU student Philippe Sung, 22, loading groceries he had not paid for into brown bags. Security stopped the first-year engineering graduate student after he tried to leave the store with the bags and notified the Evanston Police Department, Cmdr. James Elliot said. Sung will stand trial March 10 in Skokie and faces up to a year in county jail plus fines.”I was just a little confused about life,” Sung said. “I learned my lesson.”Kafein patron loses $300 worth of belongingsA Kafein diner lost his backpack, iPod, cell phone charger and about $300 cash Jan. 11, police said.The 23-year-old Chicago resident was sitting at a table at 1621 Chicago Ave. from 5 p.m. to 5:55 p.m. with his backpack under the table. Police said the victim discovered his backpack was missing, but no witnesses reported noticing anything suspicious. The victim checked the building but found nothing. EPD has no leads.Stranger punches teen outside restaurant, runsAn Evanston teenager was punched in the face outside Taco Bell Saturday.The 14-year-old was standing outside the 1723 Sherman Ave. restaurant when a youth he said he had never seen before approached him, struck him and ran away. The teenager told police the youth said nothing to him during the incident. The suspect was described as a 16-year-old male with black jeans and a black jacket. Police did not find anyone after a search of the area. The boy did not suffer any injuries that required medical attention.Vehicle stolen Friday was running, unlockedAn unlocked, running car was stolen near the corner of Main and Grey streets on Friday.The 33-year-old resident of the 2400 block of Darrow Street was visiting a friend in west Evanston between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. when his 1998 Mercury Villager was stolen. The man saw no one near the vehicle before entering his friend’s home. The vehicle was reported stolen at 9 p.m. Police have no suspects.A car was also stolen from the 2100 block of Church Street on Saturday night.A 36-year-old resident parked his tan 1995 Ford Crown Victoria, where it was stolen between 12 a.m. and 7:30 a.m.