Tasty treats warm up winter’s holidays

Whether it’s gingerbread, latkes, sugar cookies or pumpkin pie, everyone has a favorite homemade holiday goodie. The question is: Where can hungry Northwestern students go to stock up on edible holiday cheer?

One of the more popular options is the Starbucks “Holiday Drink Trio.” Caffeine connoisseurs know about the holiday special eggnog latte, peppermint mocha and gingerbread latte, and now everyone will be able to enjoy them in the comforts of Norris University Center.

“I am totally in love with peppermint mocha,” Weinberg sophomore Alison Keeley said.

For students willing to venture beyond Norris and NU, Evanston stores and restaurants offer bountiful options.

Einstein Bros. Bagels, 1745 Sherman Ave., is debuting its “bagel wreath” this holiday season. The wreath is a new item made of red and green bagels topped with cranberries and braided into a wreath shape. The store is also selling the “candy cane bagel,” which consists of a red cranberry and a potato bagel twisted together.

“The next best thing to homemade cooking is Einstein’s,” said Mike McGee, a Communication sophomore.

Bennison’s Bakery, 1000 Davis St., has an assortment of goodies for the holidays. Advertised as “the pride of our holiday line,” the bakery sells Weihnachts Stollen. Employee Becca Shantz described the German treat as “a buttery coffee cake with almonds and fruit.”

The bakery also sells pfeffernuss (small cookies), gingerbread men and an assortment of pies. Toward the end of November, the bakery will start making holiday fruit cakes, gingerbread houses and yule logs, Shantz said.

“(The chefs) use good quality ingredients to make the tastiest holiday treats,” she said.

Argo Tea, 1596 Sherman Ave., serves a special drink served throughout December – the White Frosty. It is white tea with mint chocolate, and NU students can get a 10 percent discount with their WildCARD.

Peet’s Coffee and Tea, 1622 Chicago Ave., offers a number of treats to please those craving holiday goodies, including peppermint bark, gingerbread cookies and pumpkin squares.

The store also makes special coffee and tea blends as well as “Peet’s Sweets Holiday Quartet,” an assortment of milk chocolate-covered berries.

For those seeking more holiday treats, Evanston is not called the “Dining Capital of the North Shore” for nothing. Exploring downtown Evanston before the snows set in is sure to yield a whole new crop of holiday favorites.

Reach Rachel Kopilow at [email protected].