Events of the season return to Windy City

Family, celebrations, and shopping – yes, the holiday season is here. And with one of the country’s largest cities at your fingertips, there are plenty of holiday events to get excited about. From exhibits to shows, here are a few Chicago experiences to get you in the holiday spirit.

Gliding on Ice

What winter is complete without a round of ice-skating? It might not be as iconic as New York’s Rockefeller Center, but there’s still plenty to enjoy at the McCormick Tribune Ice Rink in Millennium Park. Open daily from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., the rink is a great place to go with a group of friends or family. Also, check for free performances from Chicago musicians and storytellers. Don’t forget to bundle up.

Where: Millennium Park

When: Nov. 14, 2007 through March 16, 2008

Price: Free Admission, $9 Skate Rental

www.millenniumpark.org

Worldly Lights

Want to know more about global holiday celebrations? Check out the Museum of Science and Industry’s “Christmas Around the World and Holidays of Light.” This season the museum continues is 65-year tradition of displaying more than 50 Christmas trees that are decorated by local volunteers to reflect how the holiday is celebrated around the globe. The exhibit also showcases traditions from other holidays, such as Diwali, Kwanzaa and Hanukkah.

Where: Museum of Science and Industry

When: Nov. 16, 2007 through Jan. 6, 2008

Price: $11.00 general admission

www.msichicago.org

O Christmas Tree

Catch Chicago’s 94th Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony at Daley Plaza and see the 90-foot pine in all its glory. Then go back to give your wish list to St. Nick and take pictures with him at Santa’s workshop through December 24th. You can also experience a traditional German Christmas at the 12th Annual Christkindlmarket. The outdoor market has a range of sweats and gifts that are great for giving this season.

Where: Daley Plaza

When: Nov. 23, 2007 through Dec. 24

Price: Free

www.cityofchicago.org

A Christmas Carol (Remix)

“Hipmas Carol” retells Charles Dickens classic “A Christmas Carol” by blending spoken-word, music, and a touch of improv. The show was originally performed to raise money for the writer’s younger sister to have medical treatment and is now in its eighth season. In one hour, two men narrate the story of Ebenezer Scrooge, embodying every character (without costume changes), with jazz and blues as their backdrop.

Where: Apollo Theater Chicago

When: Nov. 23, 2007 – Dec. 30, 2007

Price: $22.00 (adult), $17.00 (seniors), $12 (children under 12) College students half off with current school ID

www.apollochicago.com

Reach Niema Jordan at [email protected].