For victims, a second abuse awaits

A month after a group of teenage black males assaulted an innocent Northwestern student outside Chili’s, the victim remains in shock. But not about the violent act, which he says he thinks was just a product of herd mentality and testosterone. Not about the possible racial motivation or links to the Jena Six – the student, who is white, has no idea why it happened and believes it could have happened to anyone, regardless of race. And not even about Evanston’s deceivingly safe appearance – he hasn’t changed any of his habits and walks at night without fear.

What he’s in shock about is a whopping $9,000 in medical bills, racked up after he went to the hospital with cuts, bruises and a concussion.

“I can’t imagine what my family would do without health insurance,” says the student, who preferred not to be identified. “This kind of thing can tear families apart.”

As the student walked to meet friends on Friday night, Sept. 21, a group of young men came up behind him, knocked him out, dragged him into the middle of the street and beat him for several minutes, the student said. A couple of brave Chili’s customers ran into the crowd and dragged him out. The student said he did not know who the customers were, but that police told him the customers are pressing charges. The Evanston Police Department could not be reached in time for comment, but a crime report shows at least one Evanston juvenile was arrested for battery that day in the area of the crime.

An ambulance was called after the victim came to, and he was stabilized and given an IV. At Evanston Hospital, some tests were required to find out exactly what was wrong with him. He also had to spend the night.

A 1.3-mile ambulance ride, a few tests and one night in a hospital bed. I’d like to know in what universe that adds up to $9,000 – a number that’s almost as painful as the unfair beating the victim received. I have a hunch that the victim’s tests and medical services were just one small part of that bill – the rest went to cover exorbitant administrative costs, padding to cover potential lawsuits, and to make up for money lost from other patients who lacked insurance or just couldn’t pay.

As the student pointed out, presidential candidates Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and John Edwards have plans for health care, but those plans won’t do enough to shake up the system and will simply put more money in the hands of insurance companies. Dennis Kucinich seems to have a not-for-profit, patient-centered plan, but we all know how likely he is to win.

Call it universal health care or socialized health care – a sweeping change must occur so we can take care of Americans, both those with health insurance and those without, who as of 2005 totaled 47 million, according to the National Coalition on Health Care.

What’s going to happen if a random act of violence hits them?

Medill senior Anna Maltby can be reached [email protected].