Name change would destroy good reputation

I’m not one to be loath to change, but in the case of renaming the Medill School of Journalism, (“Medill committee to explore suggestions for new name,” Wednesday) I’d urge students and administrators to reconsider. I fully understand the need to keep our journalism school in stride with the rapidly changing media market.

As a reporter at a newspaper that’s seen significant staff cuts in recent years, I see the effects of such changes every day. And while I think Dean Lavine has attempted too dramatic an overhaul too quickly, I applaud him for facing the facts and helping Medill adapt accordingly.

But that adaptation should not require a name change. The Medill School of Journalism has become synonymous with success. I’ve lost count of the number of times that I’ve told someone I went to Northwestern and gotten a response of, “Oh, Medill, what a great journalism school.” If we want to add a marketing component to Medill, I welcome it, but we don’t need an elaborate title to detract from the school’s identity. Changing the name of a well-respected institution is analogous to reinventing the logo of a successful company.

In a marketing sense, it’s simply not good business practice. And if anyone should appreciate that, it’s Lavine. So perhaps he and those considering change should realize the asset of a reputation that professors, administrators and students have worked to establish for the school since 1921. That’s something no focus group – or fancy moniker – can replace.

– francesca jarosz

Medill ’07

Former Daily staffer and Forum columnist