Former “Crossfire” host praises Hillary Clinton

Being called a “stereotypical bitch” on national radio isn’t usually a good thing.

But according to political consultant Paul Begala, who spoke to students in McCormick Auditorium on Tuesday, radio host Glenn Beck’s less-than-polite description of Hillary Clinton was actually a “blessing in disguise.”

“Beck set the bar so low that all she has to do is show up to the debates not riding a broom and people will be pleasantly surprised,” Begala said.

The outspoken television pundit and former Bill Clinton advisor addressed about 100 students in McCormick Auditorium Tuesday evening, discussing the current political scene and upcoming presidential election.

Brought to campus by the College Democrats, Begala is known for his contempt for President George W. Bush.

With the rhetoric of a skilled politician and a slight Texas twang, the former Crossfire host disparaged the fact that Bush will likely veto the updated version of the Children’s Health Insurance Program, which would offer health insurance to middle-class children as well as children in poverty.

“It’s ironic because Bush is the biggest welfare queen there is,” Begala said. “He lives in public housing and gets government health care, but doesn’t want to give middle-class kids health insurance.”

The silver lining to Bush’s bungles, Begala said, is that failed presidencies breed strong successors.

“2008 is a damn good year to be a Democrat,” he said. “These candidates are the most talented group of Democrats who have ever run.”

He called Barack Obama a “force of nature,” and lauded John Edwards for being the first candidate since Bill Clinton to “seriously talk about poor people.”

But Begala’s vote goes to his former boss’ wife, Hillary Clinton. Begala said he knows what it takes to be Commander-in-Chief after briefing former President Clinton every morning during his term.

“She’s tough,” Begala said. “She’s the most attacked woman in America and it hasn’t gotten to her yet.”

Critics call her robotic and cold, but that’s not true, said Begala, who has known her for 15 years. Even in the middle of her husband’s presidential campaign, Hillary was the first to call when Begala’s first child was born, and when his father underwent cancer treatment.

“(Begala) really made me more open to Hillary as a candidate,” said Weinberg sophomore Katharine Kosin.

Begala also emphasized how important it is for the more than 50 million 18- to 35-year-olds in America to vote.

“Our biggest enemy is apathy and cynicism,” Begala said. “A lot of it comes from the media … making all politicians look like manipulative con artists, which isn’t true.”

Students agreed that apathy was a problem, noting that more than two-thirds of McCormick Auditorium was empty.

“I’m not really surprised at the turnout,” said Weinberg junior Will Upton.

But representatives from College Democrats said they were pleased with attendance and Begala’s performance.

“I think NU students are more politically active than you give them credit for,” said College Democrat member Dan Rockoff, a Communications sophomore.

There is hope – the number of 18- to 35-year-old voters increased by nine percent from the 2000 to the 2004 elections, Begala said. But that’s nothing compared to the 69 percent of senior citizens who vote, he said.

“I don’t want to sound like Whitney Houston here,” he said, “But I believe children are our future.”

Reach Sarah Sumadi at [email protected].