Why I did not rush

Signs of Greek life are everywhere on NU’s campus. From the sigmas, deltas and omegas painted on the Rock to the buzzing weekend scene around the fraternity quad, it may seem that Greek life is at the core of the NU experience. As a freshman, finding your place on campus is a high priority. While that place may be in a fraternity or sorority, there is (believe it or not) social life without Greek life!When the time for sorority rush came around during my freshman year, I heard so many conflicting opinions from my friends: “Sororities are the only way to make a ton of friends on campus.” “If you don’t rush, how will you meet a guy?” “Joining a sorority is just a way of buying friends.” “All everyone does during rush is judge each other.” Making sense of these rumors, opinions and stereotypes was difficult. Ultimately, I decided that rushing wasn’t for me. I had attended an all-girls school from 7th through 12th grade, and I had already experienced the “sisterhood” atmosphere. Some people warned me that my decision would be the equivalent of social suicide. One year later, however, I can look back and realize I made the right choice. Yes, every now and then I secretly covet one of the adorable Greek totebags sported by the sorority girls, but I have also learned that there are benefits to non-Greek life. My weekends are spent with my friends – girls and guys, some of whom are in Greek organizations and some who are not. There is no huge gap between us; we don’t stare at each other like different species. I attend fraternity parties with friends and have never felt out of place. Guys don’t ignore me, girls don’t hate me. I have the freedom to choose who I spend time with and what social activities I attend. Unlike some of my friends who joined sororities, I am not obligated to attend meetings and social functions. I also have the freedom to define myself based on my interests and qualities. I don’t feel stereotyped because of the Greek letters on my shirt. Most students would admit to judging other people based on the reputation of that person’s Greek organization. I try to keep an open mind, but I am always relieved that I am not being defined by a sorority affiliation. No matter one’s personal feelings about Greek life, the choice to join a fraternity or sorority is just that – personal. Approximately 40% of NU’s campus pledges, but the other 60% of students don’t curl up in the fetal position and die because they haven’t joined a Greek organization. The students who are most unhappy with their decisions to join (or not join) sororities and fraternities are those people who didn’t make their own choices. Stereotypes, rumors and others’ opinions are not good reasons to rush.Freshmen, you’re not in high school anymore. This is college. There are hundreds of opportunities to make friends through theater groups, community service organizations, intramural sports teams or multicultural groups. Fraternities and sororities don’t have a monopoly on friendship and campus social life. I have made friends through my classes, my dorm, working on campus publications and through other friends. I pride myself on the diversity of my group of friends, and I believe my choice not to join a sorority facilitated that. Finding your niche can be difficult, but you are always your own person to define. Making the choice whether or not to rush is important, and don’t let others make you feel guilty or odd because you chose to forgo the Greek scene or chose to participate in it. You may envy the sorority totebags or fraternity rush t-shirts every now and then, or you may have a chapter meeting the night that your other friends are going to the bars. In the end, it’s your choice and no none else’s to make. Reach Kate Bernot at [email protected].