Campus, city offer options to stay fit during the year

By alex ilyashovThe Daily NorthwesternStarting college is full of choices, from deciding where to live, whether to do a pre-NU program, and what to pack. Yet another factor you might be considering? Where to work out. Perhaps your objective is warding off that pesky Freshman 15; maybe it’s toning up; or possibly scoping out the cute guy on a nearby elliptical. Whatever the case may be, options abound both on and off campus.SPAC: By far the top gym on campus,this 95,000 square foot facility boasts an aquatic center, tennis courts, and panoramic vistas of Lake Michigan. The equipment is abundant, and access to cardio and toning classes such as Total Body Workout can be purchased for $49 per quarter. It couldn’t be closer for North Campus dwellers, but it’s more annoying to reach from South and off-campus locations. Don’t count on getting your favorite treadmill during SPAC’s peak hours of 6 to 9 p.m., when the post-dinner/pre-Keg crowd hits up the gym (2311 Campus Drive, 847-491-4300).Patten: It feels like a retro high school gym, and weight lifters outnumber cardio junkies at this athlete-frequented practice hub. But Patten does indeed have something for everyone; wellness classes, including Pilates and yoga, cost $49 per quarter, and can be paired with cardio at SPAC for a discounted $79 quarterly. Plus, musty can be synonymous with cozy, right? (2407 Sheridan Road, 847-491-4099)Blomquist: This small, no-frills south/midcampus facility is centrally located and equipped with a fair assortment of machines. For the minimalist exerciser, Blomquist fits the bill with its lack of classes and more intimate size (617 Foster Street, 847-491-7250).Evanston Athletic Club (EAC): On the opposite end of the spectrum, EAC is a sprawling, multilevel gym located a few blocks from south campus. It has a health-club-meets-great-outdoors vibe, thanks to a rock climbing wall and loft-like exposed brick and beams. A full schedule of classes is included in the membership price. Along with some solid sculpting, cardio and stretching choices, unconventional offerings include Feldenkrais, a “non-cardiovascular class that helps people learn to use their bodies more efficiently,” and Guided Meditation. Although dues are steeper than most other facilities, EAC has flexible options like short-term memberships and 10-visit passes. Join before the end of August for a reduced enrollment fee of $75. Monthly student dues are $40 (1723 Benson Ave., 847-866-6190).L.A. Fitness: Opened less than a year ago, this sparkling new gym is EAC’s main competitor, from its sprawling facilities to its extensive classes, right down to the prominently featured juice cafe. Class choices include Step Circuit, Hip Hop and Body Works Plus, although the vibe is very commercial and macho. Membership costs $___ monthly, with a one-time $___ enrollment fee (1618 Sherman Ave., 847-864-9750).McGaw YMCA: The furthest from campus, the “Y” is probably better suited for upperclassmen, distanced from campus and living semi-grown-up lives. Classes like Boot Camp and Abs, Abs, Abs are included in the $54 monthly student rate, but yoga, Pilates and Ta’i Chi Chih require the purchase of a 10-visit, $40 Wellness Punch Card. There’s also a $100 joining fee. (1000 Grove Street, 847-475-7400).Ult Fit Gym/Evanston Boxing Club: The equipment is limited and classes are only offered one to five times per day, but this boxing-oriented center has a straightforward membership plan of $50 per month, and is the perfect training ground for a wannabe Ali or Tyson… just no ear-chomping, please. Pilates and yoga are also available (823 Emerson Street, 2nd floor, 847-733-9478).Yet another endorphin-eliciting choice in Evanston? Jogging or biking around the Lakefill is great exercise, but only until the snow starts.Wherever and however you choose to get your fit on, there’s a perfect place to downward dog, Stairclimb and cardio sculpt yourself silly. Finding it can be half the fun!Reach Alex Ilyashov at [email protected].