Not ‘Just Tap’

The title of TONIK Tap’s third annual spring showcase, “Just Tap,” may be something of a misnomer.

The show, which debuts tonight and runs through the weekend in the Jones Great Room, will highlight the versatility of the tap group.

“It’s kind of funny that we called the show ‘Just Tap,’ because we pride ourselves on more than just tapping,” says artistic director Jaema Berry, a McCormick junior.

The diverse pieces are designed to entertain and surprise the audience with the dancers’ versatility and energy.

“We have a piece about being out to lunch, complete with tables and chairs,” Berry says. “Then there’s another piece with school desks and school uniforms about kids rebelling against the teacher. Rumor has it there might even be a little a cappella singing.”

The performances are entirely student choreographed and directed. From putting together rehearsal schedules to staying up until 2 a.m. in Jones to resolve technical issues, TONIK Tap handles the demands well.

“I couldn’t be prouder of everyone,” Berry says. “We’ve been thrown for a loop in a couple of ways, but everyone’s pulled together to get the job done.”

TONIK Tap has only been on campus for six years, but it has already established itself among Northwestern’s other dance groups. As NU’s only all-tap group, TONIK Tap’s 14 dancers bring their own rhythm and uniqueness to the stage.

“A lot people don’t get a full idea of what we do and just entertaining and different tap dancing can be,” Berry says.

“Just Tap” goes up in the Jones Great Room tonight, May 10, at 8 p.m. and Friday and Saturday at 8 and 11 p.m. Tickets are $5 for students and $10 general admission at the door.

– Kate Bernot