Dyers Put On Sister Act Of Their Own (Softball)

By Philip Rossman-ReichThe Daily Northwestern

Senior center fielder Katie Logan mistimed her dive on a hit into left center field in Northwestern’s game against Northern Illinois on April 3. With a runner at first in the third inning and the ball making its way to the fence, there was a good chance for the Huskies to cut into the Wildcats’ 2-0 lead.

But freshman left fielder Kelly Dyer threw the ball in to sophomore shortstop Tammy Williams, who gunned it to sophomore catcher Erin Dyer. Erin tagged the runner out, changing the momentum of the game.

It was a rare opportunity for the Dyer sisters to work together on the field. Still, they say their relationship off the field has helped them this season.

On a team that is already close, teammates notice the bond between the two.

“I think they have an amazing dynamic,” senior pitcher Eileen Canney said. “They provide extra energy and make a really fun atmosphere for us to be around and play with them.”

It has sometimes been a struggle for the two at the plate. Entering today’s game at Notre Dame (24-18), Erin is hitting .237 with seven home runs and 33 RBIs. Her sister has struggled, hitting .149 with three home runs and 16 RBIs. Her batting average is the worst of the players in the regular batting order.

This weekend, Kelly had her first RBI in eight games with a single in the fourth inning of No. 8 NU’s 6-2 win over Wisconsin on Saturday.

It has been a difficult season for the freshman and she said having her sister on the team has helped her continue playing through it.

“Every time I’ve struggled (Erin will) just look at me and tell me, ‘You’re fine,'” Kelly Dyer said. “(Erin is) really positive and she’s always kept me positive. Even though I’ve been struggling, I haven’t gotten down on myself. She’s been a really positive influence.”

Kelly has helped her older sister as well this season.

Erin has surpassed her RBI and home run numbers from her freshman season, and she said Kelly has kept her focused as she made the shift from playing in the outfield last season to catcher – the position she played in high school – this year.

“I think (Kelly has) helped me a lot,” Erin said. “I’ve struggled a little bit behind the plate. I kind of play games with myself … and she tells me, ‘What are you doing? Get back in there. I know who you are. I know what you can do. And just do it.’ She’s taught me a little bit on how to simplify and just play the game and enjoy the game.”

Kelly said she and her sister are best friends and they both take pride in each other’s play. Erin said she and Kelly have been playing softball since they could walk and the two enjoy playing the game with each other.

“It’s helpful when you have someone who knows you so well,” said coach Kate Drohan – whose twin sister, Caryl, is an associate head coach on the team. “They know how to communicate with you, to pick you up, to get you going a little bit. There’s a lot of trust there, so I think it’s helpful.”

Reach Philip Rossman-Reich at

[email protected].