Hair Nor There

When Nora Ephron released her collection of essays on aging womanhood, I Feel Bad About My Neck, I could relate. Though I’ve never read it (because I’m neither pre- nor post-menopausal), Ephron’s title got me thinking about growing old. Here’s the reason: I feel bad about my chin.

Last summer while living in Manhattan, I decided that I was going to coalesce to another Williamsburg, Brooklyn-style trend and grow out my facial hair. Any excuse where purported laziness can be misconstrued as fashion is always great in my book. And throwing out the Mach 3 not only saved me time, it saved me money on overpriced blades. Girls, I’m sure you can relate.

The trend continued (look at Ryan Gosling or any skinny-panted boy on campus) and almost a year later, I’ve finally decided to stop. After one too many childhood accidents (so my Mom tells me), I don’t grow hair on my chin. So new rule: No hair on my face past the 5-day mark. Once you can tell that my chin is bare, it’s gone too far.

If you decide to grow your facial hair out, keep my story in mind. If you can’t muster a full beard (limp mustaches, bare chins and patchy cheeks included), then the currently hip look isn’t for you.

I wish Tom Ford, who recently released a luxury men’s line, could be an eponym for the five o’clock shadow. He always has the right amount of stubble (really, Google him). And even with facial hair trends going longer, he’s stuck to his groomed routine. Granted, he is fashion. Still, he’s proof of how hard you have to try to look like you’re not trying.

Give the facial hair thing a go. But realize it takes effort – if you’re going for laziness (or a hot make-out session), sweatpants are probably a better bet.4

Medill junior Kurt Soller is a PLAY fashion columnist. He can be reached at [email protected].