Harnessing Momentum Keys Success (Softball)

By Philip Rossman-ReichThe Daily Northwestern

It can start with a simple play.

A walk. A single. An error. A groundout. A strikeout.

Suddenly the advantage has swung to one side. The team is feeling pumped up and ready to play. It is waiting for the next pitch, ready to pounce on the opponents’ next mistake.

In the span of a few at-bats, a simple play could turn into a three-run inning. Or the defense could band together and get out of a bases-loaded jam. Then a three-run inning becomes a scoreless inning.

“Softball is all about momentum,” sophomore shortstop Tammy Williams said. “It can go either way at any point in the game. So I think making that big play, making that big hit is huge in the game of softball.”

Momentum can swing either way in any game. It can start with a simple play or a pivotal hit or pitch. But the feeling and energy that come from having momentum – or not having it – can change a game.

Northwestern (33-9) will look to take the momentum early today when the Wildcats visit Loyola (11-14) after splitting their two conference series this weekend.

Momentum is an intangible part of every game. It is the feeling a team gets when it is continually putting pressure on its opponents, when it is making effortless plays and making life difficult for the other team.

Coach Kate Drohan said creating and keeping momentum is important to winning games. But she said it isn’t just about making big plays and big hits. Momentum also comes from stopping a run. It is about forgetting the previous play and making the next one.

“It’s about holding them to two runs instead of four in an inning,” Drohan said. “When the opposing team has the momentum, it’s about having the maturity to take control of the game again. Take a good deep breath out there and get a good out, make a good pitch (and) make a great play.”

Having momentum can be a great feeling. Williams said the feeling and excitement from making momentum-changing plays carry from one person in the dugout to the rest of the team.

Senior pitcher Eileen Canney said momentum is about having control of the game.

“We’re extremely confident,” Canney said. “Normally, a shift in momentum is by a great play from the other team. That will take it away. To get it back, you need to not really worry too much and just slow things down and just remain in control.”

Sophomore catcher Erin Dyer said hitting gives the team a lot of its momentum. With one of the best lineups in the Big Ten, the offense often pushes the team toward victories and strong defensive performances.

But this past weekend the team struggled to hit consistently and drive in runners. The Cats struggled in both of their losses and needed dominant pitching to earn their split.

Drohan said a strong offensive performance, along with a lot of momentum and energy, puts pressure on the defense, leading to mistakes and the opportunity to score runs.

“It puts pressure on the other team,” Drohan said. “The crowd gets into it. The dugout gets into it, and it gets things going. Things feel a little easier in that moment.”

Reach Philip Rossman-Reich at

[email protected].