NU Link To Replace, Improve ‘Static’ HereAndNow Site

By Marcy MirandaThe Daily Northwestern

Beginning Saturday, the HereAndNow Web site for Northwestern students will no longer be available, and anyone attempting to access it will be re-routed to Northwestern’s new NU Link site.

“HereAndNow is static,” said Robby Stein, communications director for Associated Student Government. “We turned a Web page of links into a fully functional, dynamic community network.”

NU Link made its campus debut on Thursday with a prominent link on HereAndNow.

ASG, which operated HereAndNow, created NU Link with many of the same directory features and several improvements, Stein said.

NU Link will offer students the chance to create a personalized Web page, said Stein, a Medill senior and former Daily staffer.

Students will be able to login and create their own “to do” lists – which Stein likened to using Post-It notes – and they will be able to choose their own bookmarks to other Web sites.

Also, students will be able to customize the events that show up on their calendars. “You can choose to have Arts Alliance or theater events,” Stein said, “or get the sports schedule.”

NU Link will give student groups more direct control over event postings, Stein said. Student group leaders and students themselves will be able to place notices on the site.

Students should be able to log into NU Link and use the personalized features by April 10, when ASG elections will take place, Stein said.

On Wednesday, ASG senators passed a measure allowing voting for ASG elections to be conducted through NU Link. Links to each candidate’s Web page are available on the site.

ASG senators were presented with NU Link at the end of Winter Quarter. Stein told The Daily in March that he came up with the idea of NU Link in spring 2005, and that he and Kevin Palms, ASG’s technology director and Web site programmer, worked on the site together.

Reach Marcy Miranda at [email protected].