Senior Has Redemption On His Mind (Football)

By Patrick DorseyThe Daily Northwestern

Kim Thompson limped off the practice field Saturday, then spoke about his battles with adversity during his four years at Northwestern.

“You take your lumps playing this game,” the wide receiver said. “You definitely take your lumps.”

And how. Turns out that limp was from a broken leg, which will keep Thompson out of the rest of spring practice.

Thompson was unavailable for comment Tuesday, but an NU spokesman said the fracture is not severe, meaning Thompson should be back in time for August camp in Kenosha, Wis.

But it’ll be yet another fight for the senior who has missed time due to injuries, a suspension and a leave of absence – and who now is taking advantage not of his second chance with the team, but his third.

“(Just because) you make a mistake,” coach Pat Fitzgerald said, “I’m not going to turn my back on a guy.”

Long the philosophy at NU, few recent players have needed this treatment more than Thompson.

After a mildly productive redshirt freshman season, the 6-foot-4 speed receiver seemed poised for a breakout in 2005. Right away, he didn’t disappoint, catching five passes for 99 yards in the Wildcats’ season-opening win over Ohio.

A broken finger sustained in practice the following week slowed his season – until he caught a career-long, 52-yard touchdown pass in NU’s fifth game, against Wisconsin.

But it wouldn’t get much better. Thompson was suspended for the Cats’ final two games, including the Sun Bowl. NU explained it as a “violation of departmental policy.”

Thompson called it “a little legal trouble,” but declined to elaborate.

A second chance allowed him back in 2006, but Thompson missed the first four games with a broken foot. Then, after three unproductive weeks and what Thompson called academic issues, the receiver and the coaching staff agreed a leave of absence was necessary.

But only a temporary one.

“Last year he started going in the wrong direction – he was coming off injuries and some attitude things,” Fitzgerald said. “We worked to a common place where now he can come out and compete to play.”

Back on the field this spring, Thompson showed off his unique skill set. The senior has the size to make catches over smaller defenders and the speed to stretch the field. This, fellow senior receiver T.J. Jones said, allows him to cause matchup problems all over the field.

Also, once troubled by dropped passes, Thompson said his hands are “the best they’ve ever been.”

As is his passion for the game, rekindled by getting another chance to play for NU.

“It feels great,” Thompson said. “I can’t tell you how it feels. I love playing football. It’s not my life, but it’s a big part of my life. So this is really exciting.

“It was hard being away from it.”

Now, with the broken leg, Thompson must be away from it again. But if he takes full advantage of his third chance, it likely won’t be for good.

INCHES TO GO

Along with Thompson, sophomore walk-on receiver Zeke Markshausen (broken ankle) will miss the rest of the spring. Markshausen also is expected to return in time for August camp. … Junior quarterback C.J. Bach