Play on Plays

Producers of The Vertical Hour said its limited engagement will come to an end on March 11, three weeks earlier than expected. The show was the Broadway debuts of actress Julianne Moore and actor Bill Nighy.

And while Sit & Spin made a splash with Prelude to a Kiss here on campus recently, the show will also begin previews at the American Airlines Theatre Feb. 16. Directed by Daniel Sullivan, who also directed Broadway’s 2006 Rabbit Hole, the show is the Roundabout Theatre Company’s revival of a love story-turned-fantasy.

In other Broadway news, August Wilson’s Radio Golf will run at Broadway’s Cort Theatre. The show is currently running through Feb. 25. downtown at the Goodman Theatre.

Looking west, former Baywatch star David Hasselhoff started his role as director Roger DeBris in Las Vegas’ version of The Producers. His first performance was Feb. 9.

Legally Blonde opened to rave reviews in San Francisco, much to the surprise of many in the theater world. After the failures of movies-turned-musicals like High Fidelity and The Wedding Singer, some critics believed the genre had been played out. After a limited run at the Golden Gate Theatre, the musical will begin previews in New York’s Palace Theatre on April 3.

Looking closer to home, Debbie Does Dallas: The Musical (yes, you read that right) is opening – ironically enough – on Valentine’s Day in the Athenaeum Theatre’s first-floor studio. And on the other end of the theater spectrum, Court-Martial at Fort Devens opened Monday, Feb. 12 at the Victory Gardens Theater at the Biograph. Based on a historical event, the show tells the story of two black women privates who defend themselves against a white officer.

-Christina Amoroso