U-Passes Or Not, The City Is Enticing

By Elizabeth KeatingThe Daily Northwestern

On a Friday night early this quarter, I went to a small lounge off the Brown Line in Irving Park with a few friends to hear a well-known, Evanston-based band. Having been away in the fall, I was looking forward to heading into Chicago and seeing others from Northwestern who had come to support the group.

I was disenchanted to find no more than 10 other students joining us. The music was superb and the small, mostly local crowd appreciative, but the vibe was diminished by the absence of the band’s considerable NU following. I’m not sure what kept students away, but it probably wasn’t the manageable $4 roundtrip cost on the El, and a U-Pass is not likely to have made a big difference.

U-Pass is the buzzword of the quarter. Associated Student Government is considering the issue, and many students claim to need it, even at a cost. Students would pay up to $60 quarterly for U-Passes – that’s 15 round-trips downtown, ambitious for even the savvy Chicago hopper.

But let’s leave the issue to the ASG senators and university personnel who will make the decision and wax philosophical just a few miles south.

Chicago is an urban rapture that too many students rarely take advantage of. It boasts a breathtaking exterior – a magnificent skyline against an endless lake and a mix of historical fixtures (the Wrigley Building) and new classics (Millenium Park). The city has a unity that’s hard to miss. Whether it’s the cold winters endured, the optimistic belief that the Cubs will eventually dominate or the corrupt government that still pulls in considerable voter mandates, there’s something that makes Chicago special.

So the Bears lost the Super Bowl – the image of the skyline lit up blue and orange will last forever in photographs. This Saint Patrick’s Day, the river will be dyed green and this summer, the most gluttonous among us will indulge in the Taste of Chicago festival. Every day, Chicago’s Broadway theater raises the curtain on one of America’s fastest-growing arts cities as young designers make neighborhoods like Rogers Park hipper by the hour. Best, the city is a rush of chic flair without the edge of its coastal counterparts.

NU students with a taste for exploration have undoubtedly discovered Chicago’s potential. Some will find it after graduation if they choose to start careers here. Sadly, some may never sufficiently venture to the city, and no amount of free public transportation is likely to change their inclinations.

I could fill 10 columns with engagements around the city, but sources like Time Out Chicago’s Student Guide or AOL city guide’s Web site do a better job, and this is only a love letter. Yet it’s a letter tinged with disappointment that Chicago is at the fingertips of so many who choose to only passively co-exist near it. Whatever the outcome of this round of the eternal U-Pass debate, students should make a point to spend more time getting to know the inspiration that’s right down Sheridan Road.

Medill junior Elizabeth Keating can be reached at [email protected].