New Sorority Steps Up Recruitment, Focuses On Philanthropy

By Sarah SumadiThe Daily Northwestern

February probably isn’t the best time for Zeta Tau Alpha to go on an exhaustive PR campaign across Northwestern.

“I can’t say I’m looking forward to another round of putting down flyers in negative-20-degree weather, but you do what you have to do,” said Meghan Vicinus, the national director of membership services for the sorority.

Vicinus is one of five Traveling Leadership Consultants, Zeta alumnae who traveled to NU to establish a new chapter.

“The response has been overwhelmingly positive, both from unaffiliated students and the Greek community,” Vicinus said.

The women set up an information table in Norris University Center during the last two weeks to promote Zeta and register women for recruitment activities. So far about 200 NU students have signed up for “info-views,” 20-minute one-on-one meetings with national officers.

“We’re trying to get our name out there,” consultant Gardner Folsom said. “Our PR efforts have done us well.”

The sorority’s focus this week is on its philanthropy to raise awareness about breast cancer, “Think Pink!” Zeta is sponsoring a screening Wednesday night of the movie “Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy,” a biopic of breast cancer survivor Geralyn Lucas.

Zeta representatives handed out pink ribbons as well as shower cards, which are waterproof pamphlets that explain how to perform a breast self-exam. Think Pink! supports the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and is a partner in Yoplait’s Save Lids to Save Lives campaign.

“Zetas across the country really believe in our philanthropy,” Vicinus said. “It’s something we hold dear to our hearts.”

To get the word out about the new colony, Zeta consultants called and e-mailed unaffiliated women recommended by Greek students, and regularly approach female students walking near their table on the ground floor of Norris. But because more than a third of Northwestern women are in a sorority, singling out potential new members can be a challenge.

“But even girls who are already in a Greek organization have been very supportive and always say how excited they are for us to be on campus,” Vicinus said.

Medill freshman Lisa Gartner signed up for recruitment after visiting Zeta’s table in Norris. Gartner said Zeta seemed like a good opportunity for social networking.

“Other sororities come with stereotypes,” she said. “I like that Zeta doesn’t have a reputation. You have the opportunity to do what you want with it.”

Some students aren’t as appreciative of Zeta’s efforts.

“I give them a pretty mean look that says ‘don’t approach me,'” Communication sophomore Aisha Harris said. “Sororities just aren’t my thing, and I don’t like to be advertised to while I’m eating.”

Official recruitment will begin next week, and Zeta will hold its bid day on Feb. 16. The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life will allow Zeta to accept up to 131 new members.

“Sometimes people are skeptical of new groups,” said Candice Perilstein, Zeta’s director of new chapters. “But the Greek community is viewed positively here at Northwestern, and so our goal is to get exactly 131 outstanding women.”

Reach Sarah Sumadi at [email protected].