Palin Making Impact From The Bench (Women’s Basketball)

By Philip Rossman-ReichThe Daily Northwestern

Northwestern trailed Wisconsin by 23 points, heading to its 13th straight loss.

Little-used fifth year senior guard Holly Palin grabbed the offensive rebound off a missed free throw.

The entire team stood on the bench in excitement and anticipation as she shot the ball.

The shot grazed the front of the rim and into the hands of a Badgers player as the clock ticked to zero. The box score didn’t even count it as a shot attempt.

Despite the missed shot and a missed free throw, it was a career game for Palin.

“I was really excited at first for the opportunity, but I just wanted the opportunity to go out there and play hard and do what I could for the team,” Palin said. “It was an exciting opportunity for me individually, but I was more thinking about how can I help the team going out there starting the game.”

The fifth year senior has played a total of 27 minutes this season – a career high 16 on Sunday – and she’s scored only two points total in her career.

Against Wisconsin, coach Beth Combs installed a new starting lineup – allowing Palin to get her first start – to break a month-long losing streak.

Combs said she has not decided the starting lineup for tonight’s game at No. 12 Purdue, but said freshman guard Beth Marshall has established herself as the starting point guard.

Sophomores Julie Bielawski and Kristin Cartwright have earned a spot in the starting lineup.

The start last Sunday may be the only extended time Palin gets on the court this season.

While Palin hasn’t played in many games, she does other things that make her valuable to the team. Players and Combs admire Palin’s ability to stay positive.

“I wish I had six or seven of her,” Combs said. “She’s an unbelievable competitor. She’s willing to do whatever she needs to do to make this team better.”

Senior forward A.J. Glasauer said togetherness is most important for the Cats as they try to break a long losing streak. She said they can achieve this through positive criticism and encouraging teammates.

Palin has played a large role in helping the team keep a positive attitude from the beginning of the season.

“(Palin is) the most motivating person in the world,” Glasauer said. “She’s never negative. She’s always positive … (She tries to) hold the team together. What we all try to do right now, she did from the beginning of the season. She works harder than anybody else in practice and she’s a role model. It’s really great to play with her.”

Palin isn’t concerned with how many minutes she gets. The fifth year senior said she is trying to do whatever she can to make the team better.

“If I start, play 16 minutes or don’t play at all, I’m just there to do what I can to help the team,” Palin said. “I haven’t really thought about starting again. If I start again, I’ll go out there and play hard. If I start on the bench, I’ll cheer hard.”

Reach Philip Rossman-Reich at [email protected].