Chi O Member Elected Next Panhel President

Northwestern’s Panhellenic Association elected a new president Tuesday night.

Aretha Chakraborti of Chi Omega is now the head of the organization representing NU’s sororities.

“We already have such a strong community,” said Chakraborti, a Weinberg junior. “It’s such an honor.”

The closed meeting took place in Swift Hall and lasted about one hour. Candidates took turns waiting in the foyer and giving speeches before the electing body. After a question-and-answer period, Panhel delegates and chapter presidents voted to determine the new leader.

Panhel is an umbrella organization for sororities, and the president oversees the panel of the executive board.

Chakraborti said she has many plans for Panhel’s future, from redefining the role of Panhel delegates to providing guidelines for fraternities and sororities during official events.

“My main goal is to incorporate the community dynamic between chapters,” Chakraborti said. “I can’t see any negatives in our community.”

There are no apparent problems in the current community, but everything has room for improvement, she said.

She said it was her leadership experience in Chi Omega that sparked her interest in Panhel.

“I had a lot of support from my chapter,” Chakraborti said. “I think that helped me a lot, just to prepare.”

She first became involved in the sorority in 2005. Since then she has been an active member and participated in many events, including representing Chi Omega in Fraternal Futures and being a recruiter for fall and spring recruitment.

Chakraborti ran against Alex Arney of Gamma Phi Beta and Kristi Bond of Alpha Phi.

“I had really good competition and I would have been fine with any of the candidates winning,” she said. “Everyone was well-qualified.”

She replaces the current Panhel president, Lisa Juarez, a Communication senior.

Panhel’s responsibilities include developing Greek life, planning events, enforcing rules and fostering leadership.

– Erin Dostal