Freshman Rapper Draws From Life for Song Lyrics

By Jonathan RosenblattContributing Writer

Weinberg freshman Luke Adams’ penchant for making and performing rap music began when he was about 5 or 6 years-old and saw his cat, “Uncle Meowsly,” struck and killed by a car.

He started by writing poems to help express his feelings and alleviate the pain he experienced.

A few years later, Adams received his first rap album – “All Eyez on Me” by Tupac Shakur – as a Christmas present from his father.

“I listened to that CD over and over again, studying the lyrics,” Adams said. “There was all this bad stuff going on in my neighborhood, and I thought, someone’s gotta get the message out there.”

Ever since, Adams – or “Eljay,” his assumed rap identity – has dedicated much of his time to doing just that.

With the help of a friend back home in Peoria, Adams recorded his original songs, using a creatively decorated room as a recording studio.

“The plaster wall and mattress we put up against the door kept the room pretty sound-proof,” Adams said.

It all began at age 12, when his songs dealt mostly with the hardships he endured and witnessed growing up in Peoria.

“One song was about a friend of mine who was killed,” Adams said. “Others were about drugs and … other stuff that happened in my neighborhood.”

Just recently, Adams has made a transition from these serious and somber songs to a more funny and widely accessible style of rap.

“I realized that not everyone likes to be sad,” he said. “But everyone likes to laugh.”

Adams’ newest songs poke fun at what he feels is the ridiculous state of rap music today. He satirizes rappers’ songs about drugs, women and money, and accentuates the absurdity of the music.

“These rappers got all the money, but they don’t even have a message,” Adams said. “They ain’t got nothing, they just frontin’.”

NU students who heard Adams’ music offered generally positive reviews.

“He definitely has his own style,” said Weinberg freshman Mike McGee. “It’s refreshing – a new form of hip-hop/rap.”

Adams credits Tupac, Biggie Smalls and The Game as his main influences. Adams feels these rappers, unlike others, have tried to make a difference, not just a quick buck.

Since arriving at NU, Adams has already recorded three new songs, including one, “Free Barbecue,” at the barbecue offered to freshmen during New Student Week.

This song and others will appear on his upcoming album, “Old Enuff 2 Vote.”

Adams plans to perform on and around campus in the near future and might also start selling CDs around campus. He is also working on making a Web site focusing on Peoria’s music scene.

Adams even has his own Facebook.com group: “Eljay’s Funkalicious Guh-ROOP.”

“I’m gonna pursue (rapping), but I’m not gonna count on it,” Adams said.

Reach Jonathan Rosenblatt [email protected].