Receivers Rotating Rapidly (Football)

By Patrick DorseyThe Daily Northwestern

Call it a wide receiver fire drill.

Play after play, when Northwestern has the ball, scores of receivers shuffle in and out of the lineup as part of a rotation that has involved as many as nine players throughout the season – as opposed to the tradition of using the same three or four throughout the game.

“We have a lot of weapons,” running back Tyrell Sutton said. “It’s hard to defend a team with a lot of weapons.”

All nine of those receivers have caught passes this year. Senior Shaun Herbert leads the team with 39 catches and sophomore Ross Lane has 24, but no other receiver has more than 19.

Coach Pat Fitzgerald said the rotating receiving corps is all about getting a diverse group of receivers – which features everyone from speedy 5-foot-11 sophomore Jeff Yarbrough to its newest addition, the athletic 6-foot-3 former quarterback Andrew Brewer – on the field in situations that best fit their skills.

“Every player has different strengths,” Fitzgerald said.

Herbert and sophomore Eric Peterman said the strategy doesn’t hurt the receivers’ rhythm, but instead keeps them fresh as the game goes on.

Also, Herbert said, it keeps defenses guessing.

“Any time you can spread the ball out … then that’s hell on the defense,” Herbert said. “You can just spread (defenders) out, and (they) can’t key on one person. (They’ve) got to key on the whole offense.”

HEINZ BACK?

After missing the last five weeks with a foot injury, senior safety Bryan Heinz was back on the practice field this week – even spending time with the first team Wednesday.

Now he has a choice: Either play Saturday, or try to pursue a medical exemption from the NCAA and a sixth year of eligibility.

Heinz said his foot “feels better than I thought it would,” and it’s getting better every day.

But Fitzgerald said he doesn’t want to rush Heinz back, especially with his injury history.

Heinz underwent surgery last month. Projected as a starter before the season, he hasn’t played this year, missing the five games before his surgery with a high ankle sprain.

Last season he played in just one game – the Sun Bowl – after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament in camp.

“I want to do what’s right for Bryan Heinz,” Fitzgerald said Tuesday. “We’ll kind of take it one day at a time and see where things are at as we get closer to game day. And there’s no slam dunk with the sixth year.”

Only a handful of players have been granted a sixth year, including Heisman Trophy-winning former Oklahoma quarterback Jason White.

Heinz and Fitzgerald said the decision will be made later this week.

INCHES TO GO

Despite participating in full practice all week, senior cornerback Marquice Cole, who was limited last week against Iowa, is listed behind freshman Sherrick McManis on the depth chart. “It’s a shame that injuries are a major part of the game, (but) one guy’s injury is another guy’s opportunity,” Fitzgerald said. “I really think Sherrick has taken advantage of those opportunities.” … Sutton, an Akron, Ohio, native, on whether he has something to prove against Ohio State, which did not offer him a scholarship: “That’s not just Ohio State, not just Michigan. It’s everywhere. I’m the underdog. This is an underdog team. We’ve just got things to prove. It’s not even on a personal level.”

Reach Patrick Dorsey at [email protected].