Freshmen To Dance’Under The Stars’ At Annual Formal

By Sarah Sumadi

Freshman Formal organizers have stepped up publicity this year in hopes that tonight’s dance will draw more students than last year, and according to the Class of 2010 chairman, it’s working.

About 140 tickets have been sold, about twice as many as last year, said Scott Topal, a Weinberg freshman.

“The goal of formal is to bring the grade together, so ideally, we would like the whole freshman class to come,” Topal said. “But we’re pretty satisfied with ticket sales so far.”

Topal and the other freshman council members have spent weeks flyering, hanging up banners and setting up tables in dining halls to advertise the event. In the last few days, they began selling tickets door-to-door in the Freshman Quad.

Sponsored by the Northwestern Class Alliance, Freshman Formal will be held from 7 to 10 p.m. at the Adler Planetarium. Last year’s dance was at the Northwestern Law School, and Topal said he hopes the change of venue will draw a larger crowd.

About 80 to 90 people attended last year, said former Class of 2009 Chairwoman Liz Myers, a McCormick sophomore. Although Myers admitted better publicity could have increased turnout, there were at least three other formal events that same night, which unavoidably limited attendance.

“It was pretty disappointing, but since we had to set the formal date in the spring, we had no way of knowing there would be so many date parties and formals going on,” Myers said.

Last year’s transportation chairwoman, Eden Yamaguchi, had to cancel two of the four buses reserved to take students downtown the day of the formal.

“That was when we knew it wasn’t a hit,” said Yamaguchi, a Weinberg sophomore.

Even though turnout was low, Myers and Yamaguchi said those who did attend enjoyed it.

“A lot of people came with their friends, and it certainly wasn’t overcrowded,” Myers said. “Everyone who came said they had a phenomenal time.”

Freshman Formal is a relatively new event, and it is not as well-known as traditions such as Fling at the Field. Myers told this year’s organizers that word of mouth was the best way to spread the news.

“I really put the emphasis on hyping the event to their friends,” Myers said.

Tonight’s event is billed on Plan-It-Purple as a night of “dancing and dessert under the stars.” Students can buy tickets for $20 at the Norris Box Office or on the buses, which leave from the Sports Pavilion and Aquatics Center and Cahn Auditorium.

Reach Sarah Sumadi at [email protected].