Notes from a Daily outsider

There is a correction in this column. Due to an editing error, Public Editor David Spett’s year was misidentified. He is a Medill sophomore.

In the same column, “op ed” was misdefined as “opinion editorial.” Op ed is short-hand for “opposite the editorial page.”

The DAILY regrets these errors.

I thought I would never say it, but alas, here comes a bombshell: I have joined the ranks of Daily editors.

This pronouncement might sound odd because I am not a Daily insider. Aside from several opinion-editorial pieces, I have only written three news stories, and that was back in fall 2004. I was chosen for this position because I am an outsider.

The job of public editor is unlike others at The Daily. I play no role in the editorial decisions of the paper. I do not have a staff. And much to my chagrin, I do not have the power to boss anyone around.

According to Wikipedia, the job of a public editor is “to criticize the practices, standards and culture of the newspaper, to identify and examine critical errors and omissions, and to act as a liaison to the public.”

I will carry out my job by writing columns on the forum page several times this quarter.

Even more important, though, is that I will listen to you, the readers, and respond to your questions and concerns. Please take down my email address, [email protected], and use it often. Here are some examples of what you should e-mail me about:

n An inaccuracy or misquotation. Mistakes happen sometimes, and I would like to know about them.

n A comment, criticism or compliment concerning the paper’s journalistic practices.

n Any sort of question pertaining to this paper. If I cannot answer it, I will forward it to someone who can.

n Any request or issue about which you are unsure whom to contact.

My e-mail alias is “readers” because I work for you. Your input will influence my critiques of the paper, so you should never hesitate to e-mail. Let’s work together to make The Daily the best it can be this spring.

David Spett is a Medill sophomore. He can be reached at