O-line coach leaves NU, takes job at Oklahoma (Football)

Northwestern lost its second coach in a week Monday, when former offensive line coach James Patton accepted the same position at Oklahoma.

“It’s a great opportunity to coach at a national championship program,” said Patton, who led NU’s offensive line for five years after coaching tight ends and H-backs for two. “Northwestern was a great place, and I had a great seven years there, but getting the chance to come and compete for a national championship – I’m really looking forward to that.”

Patton’s exit followed the loss of offensive coordinator Mike Dunbar, who was hired to engineer California’s offense Feb. 2.

NU coach Randy Walker and his staff were on vacation Monday and declined to comment. A release from NU media services said no official hire will be made to replace Patton or Dunbar until next week at the earliest.

Patton joins former NU offensive coordinator and current Oklahoma offensive coordinator and tight ends/fullbacks coach Kevin Wilson on the Sooners’ staff.

Patton and Wilson coached together at NU from 1999 to 2001, but their history extends much further. Patton played tight end under Wilson at Miami (Ohio) and later served as one of Wilson’s graduate assistants at Miami.

“He’s kind of mentored me as I’ve come along here in the coaching ranks,” Patton said. “So we’ll work real close together here.”

In his five years at the helm of the Cats’ offensive line, Patton developed several NFL players, including tackle Trai Essex, a 2005 third-round draft pick and a member of the Super Bowl-winning Pittsburgh Steelers.

In 2005 Patton’s line overcame the loss of four starters. Though shaky at times, the inexperienced unit opened holes for 1,400-yard rusher Tyrell Sutton, who won “Sporting News'” offensive freshman of the year award.

The popular Patton said he spoke with his former NU players Monday morning about his “tough” decision, and said his players understood why he made it.

Patton also said NU will be fine in its quest to replace two key components of its 7-5 season that included a trip to the Sun Bowl and one of the nation’s most prolific offenses.

“They’ll hire a coach that I’m sure he’ll be better than me,” Patton said.

Reach Patrick Dorsey at [email protected].