Committee approves sending CTEC proposal to faculty senate for review

Northwestern’s Faculty Senate will consider a proposal Spring Quarter that mandates all professors post their CTECs online. The General Faculty Committee approved the measure Wednesday.

The proposal was drafted by the provost’s ad-hoc CTEC Advisory Committee in November. General Faculty Committee Chairman Thomas Bauman said the vote at Wednesday’s meeting was “essentially just a housekeeping item,” and the faculty committee would only have sent the proposal back to the CTEC committee if they thought something had been overlooked.

“We approve and think it should be passed,” he said. “This is an item the faculty should discuss and vote on as a body.”

David Spett, a Medill sophomore and representative on the CTEC committee, said he thinks most faculty will support the proposal, although a few might object.

“Some faculty members might express that they feel that students aren’t the best judges of teaching quality, but not a lot,” Spett said. “I know that a majority of faculty supports the proposal and I hope more on the faculty senate will as well.”

Nedra Hardy, director of the CTEC program, told The Daily in November that between 5 and 7 percent of professors currently opt to withhold their evaluations.

Associated Student Government representatives will continue lobbying faculty and administrators to pass the initiative, said Academic Vice President Jason Downs, a Weinberg senior. They haven’t been able to find any faculty who do not post CTECs, but he said he and other ASG representatives have been in contact with the associate provost and other university officials.