Misdemeanor charges dropped against NU faculty for activity during pro-Palestinian encampment

Magazine student chosen to be future Daily editor

The Students Publishing Co. board named Medill junior Ryan Wenzel as The Daily’s next editor in chief Tuesday afternoon.

Wenzel, who was editor of The Daily’s weekly entertainment section, Play, during Fall Quarter 2005, will begin his position as editor Spring Quarter. Wenzel will set the direction for the Daily until Winter Quarter 2007.

Medill Prof. Charles Whitaker, SPC chairman, interviewed Wenzel in December. Wenzel was the only student who applied for the position.

Although Whitaker said the board prefers to see competition for the position, he is confident Wenzel will be a good leader.

“Ryan has a strong commitment to team building and he laid out a plan for continuing The Daily’s tradition of excellence but also making The Daily a place where people work not only out of a sense of furthering their careers but because they feel a sense of community,” Whitaker said.

Wenzel said he can bring an appreciation for all sides of the newspaper to his new job.

He has been working for the paper since Spring Quarter of his freshman year, when he joined PLAY.

Wenzel also has served as a copy editor and as the Winter Quarter 2005 online editor.

He also has interned at both the Green Bay Press-Gazette and Chicago Parent magazine.

“There’s been a lot of variety and I’ve skipped around quite a bit,” Wenzel said. “I hope that my different experiences can bring something fresh to the position.”

Wenzel’s primary goal for his tenure is making The Daily a “more cooperative and efficient newspaper.”

“I want there to be more communication between desks as far as setting goals and giving encouragement as well as improve the editorial writing process,” Wenzel said.

Wenzel will begin serving as editor in chief in March upon his return from Delhi, India, where he is interning at Business Today magazine as part of Medill’s Teaching Media program.

Robert Samuels, the current editor in chief, will continue to serve until the end of this quarter.

“Ryan is a very conscientious editor with a sound sense of news judgment and a very likable person,” said Samuels, a Medill senior. “I hope he continues to push this paper to become a more modern, innovative product.”

– Amanda Palleschi