CTA to add cell phone service, Internet to El

Commuters on El trains will be able to use cell phones and connect to the Internet starting this summer, according to Chicago Transit Authority officials.

Initially, only U.S. Cellular customers will have access to the wireless service. But officials said the CTA is working to add more providers.

U.S. Cellular will pay the CTA $2.9 million for a 10-year lease to become the subway system’s first wireless provider.

Ian Carswell, an Evanston businessman, said he would use wireless capability to work on business outside the office.

“If the El ends up having wireless service, it’s a matter of time before I’ll start using it,” he said.

Wireless service also may help reduce the amount of talking on the train if people begin text messaging or e-mailing, Carswell said.

“The wireless service will be nice if it allows passengers to use quieter means of communication,” he said.

The CTA will gain much-needed revenue with the wireless contracts.

On Jan. 1, the CTA raised fares for cash-paying commuters. And the transit system recently threatened to eliminate 36 percent of all services, but the state provided funds to prevent the cuts.

Although wireless capability will allow commuters to text message and e-mail, the CTA also sees wireless access as a useful tool during emergencies.

“Originally, the main purpose for the investment was to improve emergency communications capabilities in the subway,” CTA President Frank Kruesi said in a press release. “Technology is an integral part of society today, and we are able to use this opportunity to enhance communications capabilities for our customers too. They will now have the convenience of using cell phones, e-mail, wireless internet, paging and text messaging while in the subway.”

Reach Lensay Abadula at [email protected].