Lineman apologizes for incident, damage charges could be dropped (football)

Junior defensive tackle Trevor Schultz offered a full apology at practice Tuesday following his arrest for damaging his neighbors’ vehicles in the 2200 block of Ridge Avenue early Monday morning.

Schultz, who lives at 2225 Ridge Ave., said he damaged radio antennae on two vehicles after he returned home from a party. He was charged Monday with two counts of damage to a vehicle, but Schultz and one of the vehicle’s owners, McCormick senior Maricela Guerra, said the charges would be dropped.

The owner of the other vehicle, Weinberg senior Michelle Cohen, said Schultz left a message on her phone but they have not spoken. Cohen declined to comment until she spoke with Schultz.

“I believe I learned my lesson,” Schultz said. “I know I let a lot of people down – myself, my family, coaches, my teammates. And I’m at a position in the program where I am under a microscope and I definitely am at fault.”

Northwestern coach Randy Walker would not discuss details Tuesday after practice, but he said Schultz would not be suspended for the incident and will play Saturday at Illinois.

“It’s not all that it appears or what has been reported,” Walker said. “Once I got the whole story and heard where it’s going, I’m comfortable playing him.”

Schultz practiced with the team Tuesday and has not missed any time because of the arrest.

To make amends, Schultz approached Guerra on Tuesday. Schultz still is scheduled to appear at Circuit Court in Skokie on Dec. 1, but said he plans to reimburse Guerra and Cohen.

“It hasn’t been worked out,” Guerra said. “But it’s in the process.”

Guerra told the Evanston Police Department that she saw Schultz behind her apartment building at about 2:45 a.m. Monday.

She told police she saw Schultz hit antennae on three vehicles. The owner of the third vehicle could not be reached by police Monday morning.

Guerra also said she confronted Schultz in the stairwell of her apartment building, where Schultz denied any wrongdoing although he was holding one of the car antennae, EPD Deputy Chief Joseph Bellino said. Schultz denied involvement when questioned Monday by police, Bellino said.

“I was coming back from a friend’s 21st birthday and a few things went out of hand,” Schultz said Tuesday.

Schultz, who has 42 tackles and three tackles for loss this season, thanked his teammates and coaches Tuesday for supporting him and continuing to let him play.

“Thank goodness I’m still on the team,” Schultz said. “I am remorseful, and I believe both the girls know it. I’m just trying to put that situation behind me and I’m looking forward to Illinois.”

SAFETY VALVE

True freshman safety Brendan Smith, who has missed three straight games after he injured a knee ligament in the first quarter against Michigan State, practiced Tuesday and could play Saturday.

“I’m good to go,” Smith said.

Walker said Smith would play if he’s available. Senior safety Frederic Tarver sustained a ribs/abdominal injury last Saturday at Ohio State. Tarver is listed as probable and may start.

Smith made four starts before his injury, amassing 25 tackles and making two interceptions.

INCHES TO GO

Offensive coordinator Mike Dunbar, reportedly a candidate for the Buffalo head coaching job and the North Carolina offensive coordinator job, on whether he’s been contacted: “I’m not going there. Let’s beat Illinois. We’ll take care of one step at a time.” – Walker said junior punter Ryan Pederson will start Saturday. Junior Slade Larscheid started the last two weeks – Senior wide receiver Mark Philmore wore a red jersey in practice Tuesday. The color signifies no contact due to injury. Walker said Philmore was “banged on the shoulder a little bit,” but he doesn’t expect Philmore to be affected Saturday.

Reach Patrick Dorsey at [email protected].