Senior surviving ‘rollercoaster’ ride

He’s been injured and suspended. Started, benched, and then started again.

He’s shifted positions, and he’s shifted around on the sidelines as he watched his team reach a bowl game without him.

Finally, after five years of what he calls a “rollercoaster” ride, Herschel Henderson has finally arrived as No. 21 Northwestern’s starting free safety.

“I knew I was capable of it,” said Henderson, who won the National Defensive Player of the Week award after intercepting two passes and recording five tackles in NU’s 49-14 win at Michigan State on Saturday. “I just had to find a home, and I think I’ve found a home at free safety.”

The fifth-year senior from Houston, recruited as a safety, made two starts at cornerback this season before switching to his new position in the Wildcats’ 51-48 win against Wisconsin.

Since finding his place at NU, Henderson has amassed 19 tackles, 13 solo, a forced fumble, two interceptions and a series of helmet-rattling hits.

Two years ago, all Henderson could do was watch.

After starting nine games at cornerback the year before, Henderson injured his knee in a preseason scrimmage and missed the entire 2003 season. This forced him to watch as the Cats won six games and earned a bid to the Motor City Bowl.

Henderson said he never felt too down about his injury, but was upset about not being a part of the Cats’ winning ways.

He returned in 2004 after extensive rehab – he said athletic trainers still treat his leg two or three times a day – and made substitute starts at both cornerback and safety, returning to 2002 form.

But the ride wasn’t over.

Henderson sustained a hamstring

injury in the spring and also was suspended for undisclosed violations. He returned to the starting lineup in place of senior cornerback Jeff Backes, who left the program because of a lingering shoulder injury, and made two starts before NU’s bye week.

Looking for a formula to halt the Cats’ two-game losing streak, NU head coach Randy Walker made some changes, including the move of Henderson back to safety.

“Sometimes just the right thing works,” Walker said. “I make so many bad decisions as a coach about personnel. You just try the best you can and sometimes you get the right fit – I’m glad it’s worked out. I think Herschel’s playing the best football of his life.”

Part of that play is shoring up a secondary that has allowed one touchdown pass in the last two games.

Another is using his experience to help a young group of defensive backs improve by the week.

“We have a great leader with Herschel Henderson,” said Frederic Tarver, a senior safety who made his first start in NU’s opener. “He’s our experienced guy, (our) playmaker, and really mentors a lot of the younger guys on the team.”

Henderson said he’s not much of a talker, but instead he chooses to lead by example.

This includes making big hits and big plays. It includes playing hard. It includes not letting a rocky, unsure past get in the way of his future.

And it all led to that national award, the mention of which lights up his eyes.

“It’s a great feeling,” Henderson said. “But we just have to go out there and concentrate on Michigan – and hopefully go out there and get another award and get another win.”

Reach Patrick Dorsey at [email protected].