Another road trip provides NU chance to solidify tourney bid (Men’s Soccer)

Northwestern hits the road again on its march toward the NCAA tournament. If NU picks up two wins this weekend, it will boost its chances for a postseason bid.

The Wildcats (8-4-2, 1-2-1) load up the buses for the third time in four weeks this weekend – this time making two pit stops, one Friday at Ohio State (8-6-2, 1-2-1) and another Sunday at Butler (9-7-0).

NU (8-4-2, 1-2-1 Big Ten) vs.

Ohio State (8-6-2, 1-2-1)

6:30 Friday

Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium

Columbus, Ohio

NU solidified its credentials for the NCAA tournament last weekend, going 1-0-1 on its cross-country trip to Loyola Marymount and Princeton.

But the Cats want to leave no room for doubt in the selection committee’s mind.

“These two games are obviously big,” said junior forward Gerardo Alvarez, who has scored the lone goal in the 1-1 tie against Princeton. “We’re back on the road, and we want to get two wins.”

On the first stop in Columbus, Ohio, NU faces off against conference rival, Ohio State.

The Buckeyes come into Friday’s game in the same predicament as the Cats. Tied for fifth with NU in the Big Ten, Ohio State sits on the NCAA tournament bubble.

Ohio State has momentum after picking up a 3-2 win against Oakland last Thursday and a 2-2 tie Sunday against No. 6 Indiana.

The Buckeyes also have a 12-game unbeaten streak against the Cats, including last year’s 2-1 overtime win.

“Ohio State plays a physical game,” NU coach Tim Lenahan said. “We just have to play them tough for the entire game.”

Then on Sunday, the Cats take a trip from Columbus to Indianapolis, where they will take on Butler.

Since starting the year 9-2, the Bulldogs have suffered five consecutive losses. The last time Butler played NU, in September of last season, the Bulldogs scored a goal in the 11th minute to beat the Cats 1-0.

Like that game more than a year ago, early goals have played a role in NU’s games this season. In losses against California-Santa Barbara and Penn State, both teams scored in the opening minutes, forcing the Cats to come from behind.

But in wins against Loyola Marymount and Michigan State, the Cats jumped out to early leads and held on for the victories.

This week Lenahan emphasized the importance of winning the first 15 minutes.

“Pretty much we have focused on preparation,” sophomore goalkeeper Will Briley said. “Our coaches have tried to get us mentally prepared so that we don’t make any mistakes early on.”

Lenahan continues to use a two-goalie system, with Briley and freshman goalkeeper Misha Rosenthal splitting time in goal.

Briley said the competition has kept him focused.

“It’s fun to have another 6-3 goalie,” Briley said. “If anything, it keeps me on my toes at all times.”

The defense, with Briley and Rosenthal in net, has been solid since a 4-1 loss to Penn State on Oct. 7. In those four games since the loss, NU has given up just two goals. Over that four-game stretch, the Cats have two wins, two draws and no losses.

And if the Cats continue the strong play, they may give themselves another road trip – to the NCAA tournament.

Reach Scott Duncan at [email protected].

NU vs. Butler (9-7-0)

12 p.m. Sunday

Butler Bowl

Indianapolis