Not-so-special teams affect games (football)

After one of the wildest Big Ten weekends in recent memory, coaches discussed special teams, a large factor in almost every game that was played.

“Only a fraction of that is your punter and your kicker,” said Michigan State coach John L. Smith. “It takes 11 people.”

Smith’s Spartans were on the short end of the most notable play of the weekend. Trying to kick a field goal as the clock ran down in the first half, Michigan State had only 10 players on the field, resulting in a blocked kick Ohio State returned for a touchdown.

The play made Michigan State’s half time lead three points instead of 13.

“I can’t ever remember in 30-some-odd years of coaching having something that dramatic happen,” Smith said.

Wisconsin’s Barry Alvarez stresses special teams in practice. His Badgers won on Saturday after recovering a blocked punt for a touchdown with 30 seconds left.

“We had a specific block put in, but that block probably would not have taken place had the punter not cooperated by dropping the ball,” Alvarez said of the play. “We cover everything. We probably spend the most time on punt protection, but we have a set number of repetitions for everything you can possibly do or everything you can see.”

Ohio State coach Jim Tressel, whose team eventually won after Michigan State’s gaffe, stressed the importance of the entire unit.

“If they make an error, all the sudden that kick returner looks good. And that’s the beauty of this game,” Tressel said. “On every play it takes 11 people to do what they’re doing to make everyone succeed.”

The WOUNDED LION

Penn State coach Joe Paterno addressed injured wide receiver Derrick Williams, who broke his arm in Saturday’s loss at Michigan. He is believed to be out for the year.

“Its all part of the game,” Paterno said. “What are you gonna do about it? We have to take care of things we can do something about.”

Paterno said there are a number of other young receivers who can step in. While Williams, the top-ranked high school recruit in the nation last year, played a major role, Paterno expects the others to fill the void.

Williams has 22 catches for 289 yards and a touchdown this season. He also rushed for 105 yards and three touchdowns.

Paterno said that Williams does not want sympathy.

“He’s one of those guys that wouldn’t want you to feel sorry for him,” Paterno said. “I’m sure it hurts him, but he won’t tell you that.”

ON SHAKY GROUND

Purdue coach Joe Tiller addressed the divet-ridden ground at Ross-Ade Stadium on Tuesday, which Northwestern coach Randy Walker likened to a battlefield.

“The only positive thing you can say is they were the same for both teams,” Tiller said.

Penn State and Iowa have replaced their fields this season.

Michigan’s Lloyd Carr has also dealt with the problem. Michigan Stadium, which uses artificial Field Turf, is dug into the ground, making it more difficult to grow a proper field.

“We were convinced that we could not maintain the type of field in grass to give our players the best chance to use their abilities,” Carr said. “(Field Turf) is certainly the best artificial surface that we’ve ever had. It’s given a surface that’s very consistent and we’re very pleased with it.”

A minimum of two weeks is required to replace a field, more time than Purdue has before its next home game.

“We’re probably too far into it to do anything,” said Tiller. “I’m hopeful that the thing will be redone. When it’s redone it will be done correctly, and we’ll have some footing in the future.”

Reach David Kalan at [email protected].