Midfielder heads North to bolster team scoring (Men’s Soccer)

David Roth is the first to tell you he’s always looking to score. But somehow the ball just hasn’t gone in for him so far this season.

Although the sophomore midfielder has zero goals, he has helped his teammates get on the board.

Just eight games into his second year with the Wildcats, Roth is one assist shy of breaking the 16-year-old Northwestern record for career assists (20) held by Jonathan Hall.

Roth can reach the milestone Sunday when the Cats (5-3-0, 0-1-0) face off against Michigan State (3-1-4, 0-0-1).

“If I have a chance to score, I try to score, but it just seems like it’s easier for me to get someone else the goal,” Roth said. “I’m always looking to find (junior forward Brad) North or someone running through.”

Roth, who broke the Big Ten and NU records for assists with 14 in 2004, has five assists this season to tie for the lead in the conference.

North has proven to be Roth’s favorite target as Roth has assisted him on four of his five goals.

“He knows what I’m doing and seems to find me all the time,” North said. “He’s an unbelievable player, and he can find me almost wherever I am. I run, and he puts it on my foot. He does all the work, and I just put it in.”

Coach Tim Lenahan said Roth has great touch and a good feel for the game.

“He’s got a great rhythm,” Lenahan said. “He kind of cat-and-mouses the defender such that he never does the same thing twice. He knows exactly when to play the ball and at what pace to play the ball.”

The Spartans will provide a stiff test for Roth and the NU offense. Michigan State has held opponents to less than one goal per game and kept the defending national champions, Indiana, off the board in a 0-0 tie last weekend.

Last year the Spartans shutout the Cats in two matches, including in the Big Ten tournament.

NU has not beaten Michigan State since 1999, two seasons before Lenahan arrived in Evanston.

“(The Spartans) play a very disciplined system that we’ve had a difficult time breaking,” Lenahan said. “I think we’ve only scored one goal against them since I’ve been here.”

NU had been struggling offensively before exploding for two goals in the first 15 minutes of a 2-0 win Wednesday against Illinois-Chicago.

North said the key against Michigan State is to repeat that same intensity NU had against the Flames by setting the tempo early.

“If we can get out to an early lead, we should do pretty well,” North said. “Our center midfielder (junior) John (Carlstedt) played unbelievable (Wednesday). And if we can find him and work off him and try to get a couple in the back of the net early, we should be alright.”

And Roth said he has an idea who may score a goal for the Cats on Sunday.

“I’m feeling that I’m going to get one against Michigan State,” Roth said. “I’m feeling the first.”

Reach Scott Duncan at [email protected].