Cats to face another top-10 opponent (Field Hockey)

The conditions this weekend look very familiar to last weekend for Northwestern as it will face another top-10 Big Ten opponent.

NU (6-3, 0-1 Big Ten) will battle Ohio State (9-2, 2-0) in its first home match since Sept. 18. The Buckeyes are riding an eight game winning streak and has not lost a game since Sept. 4.

“We’re approaching this game the same way we approach any other Big Ten opponent,” coach Kelly McCollum said. “We know that it’s going to be a match up of skill against skill.”

McCollum also said the Wildcats made some defensive alignments this week in practice and are a stronger team defensively inside the 25.

“We try to be focused with each practice and we set certain goals for each practice,” McCollum said. “We try to give kids an opportunity to play in practice so that they remember the reason they play is because it’s fun.”

Last year, the Cats went 2-10 after opening Big Ten play. So far this season NU has gone 1-1 since playing Penn State in their first Big Ten match and hopes to build on its positive start.

“I believe that we are a very different team than last year and our defense is much stronger than a year ago,” McCollum said. “I am very confident in our team’s ability to take on our Big Ten schedule.”

The Buckeyes have recorded three shutouts this season and have allowed more than one goal in a game only once. Both NU and Ohio State have averaged over four goals a game.

McCollum said Ohio State has such a powerful offense in part because of some of the international players on its roster. These players add much skill and talent, she said.

“Ohio State has a number of international players,” McCollum said. “Although their team is solid as a whole, the skill level and talent of international players raises that level. It allows them to score goals and win games.”

McCollum also said that even though Northwestern has not defeated Ohio State since 1995, their game plan and strategy will not be any different.

“I expect this match to be competetive and challenging for both teams and we are going to battle it out to the end,” McCollum said. “I think that we know Ohio State from competing over the years and this weekend’s game is going to be a battle.”

Reach Jason Prager at [email protected]

NU (6-3, 0-1) vs. Ohio State (9-2, 2-0)

When: 1 p.m. Saturday

Where: Evanston, Ill.