Cirque de Soul

The circus evokes images of tigers tearing through hoops, trapeze artists and clowns in small cars. But one modern circus departs from the the norm by successfully integrating an often overlooked element of popular culture: urban appeal.

Now in its 12th season, UniverSoul Circus opened yesterday in Washington Park, 5531 S. Martin Luther King Dr. The show aims to give black performers an outlet for expressing and exploring their creativity. “We had the idea to present something different, to create a show that presented a wide spectrum of black talent to a wide demographic of spectators to reach deep into our culture and search for what talents and skills lie asleep in the black entertainment experience,” the group’s Web site states.

The show features 75 performers in 17 multicultural acts, including an aerial balleta, Gabonese high wire show, a Chinese trapeze segment, stilt walking with a Caribbean spin and ringmaster-turned-comedian Shuckey Duckey.

UniverSoul recently announced the hiring of skilled dancer and Chicago native Tovah Collins. Collins, a 2004 graduate of the Chicago Waldorf School, has 13 years of formal training in classical ballet, jazz, hip-hop, Latin and modern dance under her belt. She is slated to perform alongside LaTonya Peoples, an accomplished violinist.

“Touring with UniverSoul Circus in an opportunity I could not resist,” Tovah says. “As a dancer it is important for me to reinvent myself, to do something different, to inspire young people to live life to the fullest.”

Communication freshman Jason Klorfein says he’s interested in attending the show. “I am so excited to see something different than the Circus du Soleil,” Klorfien says. “The whole point of going to a circus is to have fun and experience things that you’ve never seen before. I think the UniverSoul Circus is a good medium for urban artists to express themselves.”

UniverSoul Circus runs through Oct. 23. Show times are 10:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday; noon, 4:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. Saturday; and 1, 4, and 7 p.m. Sunday. Individual tickets cost between $10 and $29. For ticket information, visit www.universoulcircus.com or call (800) 316-7439.

– Taren Fujimoto