Toni Morrison, Nobel Laureate in literature, drew a crowd from throughout the Midwest

Speaking about the use of minority studies as “vaccination” against racism and the effects of “race-inflected” language, Nobel Laureate Toni Morrison captivated an audience of almost 600 people Monday in the Technological Institute’s Ryan Family Auditorium.

Greeted by a standing ovation, Morrison read from a prepared speech composed of eloquent language, echoing the author’s lyrical style. Her district, soothing voice made the lecture enchanting for many in the audience.

“Fiction writers have to deal with difference,” Morrison said. “We must manage to hold an unblinking gaze into the realm of the other. We are always being mesmerized, and mesmerized by, pulled into the imaginary lives we have never led, emotions we have never felt, and of which we have no experiential access.”

Morrison’s visit drew not only Northwestern students and faculty but also fans from the surrounding communities, from downtown Chicago to Wisconsin, most acquiring the free tickets from friends at the university.

When tickets were distributed April 15, passes for all 600 seats in the auditorium were given away in 15 minutes, said Stacia Kozlowski, Weinberg’s special events coordinator. Tickets for the live feed to the Pancoe Auditorium and the Technological Institute’s Lecture Room 2 were given away in the next half hour.

Morrison was invited to give the 2005 Leon Forrest Lecture, an annual speech named in honor of a late writer and NU professor of African American studies and English.

During the 45-minute speech, Morrison also discussed how minority studies are used as a faulty solution to problems of racism and intolerance.

“(Americans saw) African-American culture as a patient and a doctor, as inoculation, as an insistent deliberation of cultural health and beauty, which by association could heal others,” she said.

The personalities of both Morrison and the audience were revealed in the question-and-answer session. Appreciative fans approached the microphone, asking questions about Morrison’s “Sula” and Pulitzer Prize-winning “Beloved” while declaring love for her books.

“You wait for years and the only thing that comes out of your mouth is, ‘I love you,'” a flustered man said to Morrison, forgetting his question and laughing along with the audience.

Morrison beamed and smiled warmly, her affable nature and witty banter charming the audience. She then created a question for him and answered it.

To be a part of the audience, Weinberg freshman Justin Lieber stood outside Tech with a friend, holding a sign asking for spare tickets. Within three minutes, a woman handed them two tickets.

“Just to be able to hear her speak is a great opportunity,” Lieber said.

The audience was drawn to Morrison for diverse reasons. Madeline True, an artist from Rogers Park, said she came to be inspired. Lashawnda Pittman, a sociology graduate student, waited more than an hour for tickets, hoping to hear her favorite author mention her upcoming opera. Weinberg sophomore Ife Finch wanted “to see the person behind the famous books.” Music freshman Blake Walker just wanted to hear what Morrison had to say.

“The appeal was the diversity of the audience,” said Stephanie Beckman, a Communication senior. “Whether you’re a minority, a teacher, a student … they were all touched by her work.”

Indeed, Morrison drew people of all types, such as Marlo HarMonday, who drove from Wisconsin, and Billy Clem, who drove from Sugar Grove, Ill.

Clem, who teaches Women’s Studies at Waubonsee Community College and came to NU with his students to hear Morrison speak, said he has attended four of Morrison’s lectures.

“Toni Morrison is brilliant,” Clem said after the lecture. “I was hanging onto every word.”

Shirley McNutt, who works for the McHenry County Conservation District, drove more than an hour to see Morrison. She called Morrison’s speech “enlightening.”

“I felt empowered as a black woman in America,” McNutt said.

Reach Steph Yiu at [email protected].