Philanthropy through food

The upscale Chicago restaurant scene can be overwhelming. The long waits, snooty waiters, bills with one too many digits? No thank you. (Unless you are a cute boy with a credit card. Then yes, please.)

But for tonight, all that is changing. This evening local restaurants open their doors and their metaphorical hearts for “Dining Out for Life,” an event in which restaurants donate a percentage of the evening’s profits to help those living with HIV and AIDS.

With events in more than 30 cities in the United States and Canada, “Dining Out for Life” first came to Chicago in 1992 and has expanded each year. In Chicago the money raised goes to AIDSCare, a non-profit organization for people living with HIV and AIDS in the Chicago area.

“Dining Out for Life” raised $100,000 last year, according to Ellyn Harris, AIDSCare’s chief development officer.

“We’re looking to raise even more this year,” Harris says. She adds that participating in “Dining Out for Life” is a no-brainer.

“It’s a win-win situation for the restaurant, the patron and the charity because it’s effortless,” Harris says. “All you do is go out to eat, and you’re raising money to help children, families and adults living with HIV and AIDS.”

This year the evening includes more than 60 Chicago restaurants, which will donate, on average, 40 percent of the night’s profits, Harris says.

One of the restaurants, Mod, has participated for each of the five years they’ve been in business.

“We believe in the cause, and we want to support the city and the community,” says Kristin Skrainy-Alexander, a managing partner at Mod, 1520 N. Damen Ave.

Alexander says there was more than one reason compelling Mod to take part in “Dining Out for Life.” “Obviously, the restaurant wants people to come in and experience Mod, but with part of the proceeds going to ‘Dining Out for Life,’ it’s a great cause, and it’s only once a year,” she says.

Alexander says Mod was able to publicize their participation in the event even more this year, passing out fliers so people could save the date and make a reservation.

“It’s a night we all look forward to,” she says.

For more information, go to www.diningoutforlife.com or call (773) 935-4663.

— Anna Maltby