Split at Purdue full of injuries

By the end of Northwestern’s weekend split with Purdue (11-21, 5-7 Big Ten), the Wildcats (16-14, 6-6) had faced nagging tendonitis, several leg injuries, a pulled muscle and an outfield collision.

“I feel pretty good that we came out of (Purdue) with two wins, with what was given,” Stevens said of his Cats, who now are tied with Michigan State for fifth in the Big Ten, three games behind Illinois and defending-champion Minnesota for first place. “I like how we competed. I’m very proud of these guys.”

The Cats swept Saturday’s doubleheader and sandwiched their two wins with a 4-3 loss Friday and a 10-5 defeat Sunday.

“We had our chances (Sunday),” Stevens said. “If we make a play and keep it a close ballgame instead of letting it get out of hand, it might have been a little bit of a different story.”

Saturday wasn’t all positive for NU, as the injury bug first stung when sophomore George Kontos pulled a back muscle four pitches into the day’s first game.

Sophomore Dan Schwartz and senior Chris Hayes each threw three-and-one-third innings in relief, helping the Cats to a 4-3 win. Schwartz (2-0), who gave up two runs, got the win, while Hayes earned his fifth save.

In the second game Saturday, NU secured another one-run win and another injury. Freshman second baseman Jake Owens hurt his leg in a collision with junior right fielder Stanley Finch when both chased after a seventh-inning pop-up during the 3-2 win. Owens made the diving catch but was taken out of the game two batters later.

“It was a huge catch because there was a runner in possible scoring position there,” Stevens said. “And if that ball falls they (may) tie the game up.”

Senior Evan Blesoff (3-4) gave up two runs in six-and-two-thirds innings to earn the win. Chris Hayes earned his second save of the day and sixth of the season by getting the last out in the seventh.

“I just scattered the hits and I had better control of my fastball than I did my last outing,” said Blesoff, whose performance Stevens hailed as Blesoff’s best of the season.

On Sunday, lingering shoulder tendonitis ailed sophomore hurler Ryan Myers (3-3), who was tagged for five runs on five hits in three innings.

“You’ve got to focus more on control and spotting your pitches because you may not have the best stuff,” said Myers, who said his shoulder has been bothering him since the Indiana series two weeks ago. “I’ve been struggling a little bit with that, but you’ve just got to keep making adjustments, trying to find a way to be more successful.”

Junior left fielder Anthony Wycklendt hit 3 for 4 with a home run and three RBIs in the loss. Sophomore second baseman Caleb Fields, out since the first game of the Indiana series with a strained quadriceps, was forced to start in Owens’ place despite not being fully recovered from his injury.

“We need those guys back and want them back, obviously,” Wycklendt said. “But I think we have guys who can step in and fill in the roles.”

Reach Patrick Dorsey at [email protected].