Evanston educators earn statewide honors

Three District 202 educators and one Evanston/Skokie School District 65 teacher earned recognition Friday for excellence both inside and outside the classroom.

Mark Vondracek, an award recipient who is a teacher at Evanston Township High School, also was chosen as a finalist in March for the Illinois Teacher of the Year.

Vondracek won an Excellence Award for classroom teaching, District 202 guidance counselor Leah Piekarz won the Award of Merit for student support, District 202 Director of Pupil Personnel Services Marilyn Ward Madden won a Certificate of Appreciation for administration, and Dawes Elementary School teacher Nancy Zordan won a Certificate of Appreciation for classroom teaching.

The awards, which come from the Illinois State Board of Education, honor educators for classroom teaching, administration, student support and educational service. There is also a category for school board members or community volunteers and community groups that have an impact on teaching and learning in a school or district.

“We are the only state that does a statewide recognition program that honors every aspect of education,” said Ann Muraro, state coordinator for the awards.

Madden and Zordan will receive their awards in the mail, but the board will honor Vondracek and Piekarz Saturday at a banquet in Decatur, Ill, where they will also announce the recipient of the Teacher of the Year award.

Piekarz said Monday she would not be attending the banquet but would go to a customary school board celebration in May.

“It’s just wonderful every once and a while to get a pat on the back and feel that you are working hard and always doing your best,” Piekarz said. “When one stops and acknowledges that, it’s very fulfilling and it encourages you to continue to try to excel.”

Piekarz began her career as a Spanish teacher but decided to go into counseling four years ago.

“The thing that’s the most surprising about it is that this is my eleventh year in education but only my fourth year as a counselor,” she said. “It seems very early to get an award as a counselor.”

Parents, teachers, superintendents and community members can nominate anyone they feel deserves an award, Muraro said. Letters of recommendation, a personal essay and answers to given questions are also necessary for a complete nomination packet.

Zordan, a fourth grade teacher, was nominated by a family of a former student.

“It’s just an honor to be recognized by a family,” said Zordan, who been teaching in District 65 for 24 years. “That’s who you hope you’re making a difference for.”

She said other teachers also deserve the award.

“I am not doing anything differently than dozens of my colleagues,” she said. “They also deserve recognition.”

The Teacher of the Year will make presentations around the state, Muraro said. The winner will also represent Illinois in the National Teacher of the Year conference and earn a free lifetime tuition waver to any state university.

“I want the community to know what a jewel they got in what they are paying for through their taxes,” Miehls said.

If Vondracek, who could not be reached for comment Tuesday, wins the Teacher of the Year award, he would be the second District 202 teacher since 1990 to win, said Kathy Miehls, public relations director for the district.

Reach Lensay Abadula at [email protected].