NU splits matches as doubles team heats up

Playing at home for the first time this spring, the Northwestern men’s tennis team split its two dual meets this weekend as Big Ten play continued.

The Wildcats (7-10, 2-3 Big Ten) lost a close match to Indiana (10-8, 4-1) on Saturday after winning three of six singles matches but dropping two of three doubles contests.

The Cats were on the courts again Sunday and won a very close dual against Penn State (13-4, 2-3).

“The Indiana match was a huge disappointment,” coach Paul Torricelli said.

Seniors Tommy Hanus and Chuck Perrin had a successful weekend, winning their second and third doubles matches in a row. The streak dates back to March 26, when the pair won against San Diego.

Both players split their singles matches, with Perrin winning against Indiana and Hanus against Penn State.

“They’re getting some confidence playing together,” Torricelli said. “They know each other really well. Some of it is timing and chemistry, and winning really helps.”

Torricelli also said Perrin and Hanus have had big serves recently and have been returning very well.

The other two Cats’ singles wins against Indiana were clinched by sophomores Willy Lock and Christian Tempke, both in straight sets in impressive fashion.

Lock and Tempke were also victorious in their doubles match against Penn State that ended in another tiebreaker.

“We managed to get there and we were able to make it to the end,” Lock said.

Torricelli said all of the doubles matches were very close.

“They didn’t beat themselves,” Torricelli said. “They had to hang in there and finally get it done. Everybody’s good and the matches are close.”

In singles play against Penn State, Tempke won his match in two sets, and Lock, after winning a hard-fought first set in a tiebreaker, easily won the second set to clinch the match.

“I didn’t play really well in the first set. I broke down,” Lock said. “But I played much better in the second set.”

After two well-contested sets, Perrin lost in a thrilling match tiebreaker after NU had clinched the dual. Torricelli said the match tiebreaker is played to shorten individual matches when a team has already won the dual meet.

He also said the rule is fair, as it does not extend the match and is helpful for teams on the road to begin traveling earlier.

The Cats hit the road again this weekend and travel to Minnesota.

“It’s going to be a very tough three weeks,” Torricelli said. “We’re a team that needs to win and we need to stay on track.”

Reach Jason Prager at [email protected].