Spring practice kicks off

There are only four Division I-A quarterbacks who have started more games in a row than Northwestern senior quarterback Brett Basanez.

The four-year starting quarterback, along with 11 returning starters and 63 other players, began spring practice Wednesday in Trienens Hall with 20 six-minute workouts in the three-hour practice.

“We’ve gone through this winter with the strength conditioning, the running conditioning and do a lot without a football,” Basanez said. “And now to have the football in our hands, it’s really fun.”

The Wildcats lost 13 starters from last year’s 6-6 squad, including running back Noah Herron, offensive lineman Trai Essex, defensive tackle Luis Castillo and linebacker John Pickens.

Coach Randy Walker, who is beginning his seventh season at NU, said although there is “a chance” a freshman may challenge for a position in the fall, the spring season will probably solidify most positions.

“I think we really in general have a pretty stable nucleus of guys,” Walker said. “It’s nice to have a four-year starting quarterback coming back, it’s nice to have a four-year starting (middle) linebacker coming back and people always tell you if you’re pretty strong up the middle you can be pretty good.”

Walker said the Cats will practice 15 times this spring, only 12 of which can be in pads.

All-Big Ten senior linebacker Tim McGarigle will anchor the Cats’ defense, which lost five starters from last year.

“As a defense we’re looking to develop an identity,” McGarigle said. “These 15 practices are huge to develop how we want to be, how we want to act and how we want to play this season.”

The defense is looking to shore up a secondary that allowed more than 250 yards a game last season.

Senior cornerback Jeff Backes and junior safety Bryan Heinz return, while junior cornerback Marquice Cole and sophomore safety Reggie McPherson are the early favorites to fill the defensive backfield.

“I think the return of Marquice Cole will be a big asset,” Walker said. “Losing him at the beginning of the season hurt our football team. He’s a special player, not only on defense but in the kicking game and everything else.”

On offense the Cats need to replace running back Noah Herron, who rushed for almost 1,400 yards last season. Senior Terrell Jordan, sophomore Brandon Roberson and redshirt freshman Gerard Hamlett each spent time with the first team in practice Wednesday. Sophomore Nathan Shanks will also compete for the position.

“Terrell Jordan’s been a good player when he’s healthy and we’ve got to keep him healthy,” Walker said. “Brandon Roberson got his feet wet last year as a freshman, and we think we’ve got some redshirt freshmen and some guys coming in that can compete, so we’ll find a guy to run.”

NU also lost three of the linemen who blocked for Herron last season. Basanez said although the linemen will be missed, he believes they can be replaced.

“They were great players,” Basanez said. “Don’t get me wrong, we’re going to miss them, but we’ve got some young guys — Ryan Keenan, Joe Tripodi, Vince Clark. They’re all very athletic and they want to learn, that’s the best thing.”

Sophomore Chris Malleo, who was Basanez’s backup last season, made the only position switch so far this season, as he moved to fullback during the offseason.

“I talked to Chris about it at the end of the season last year,” Walker said. “I just think he’s too good of an athlete to be on the sideline with a clipboard charting plays.”

Senior wide receivers Jonathan Fields and Mark Philmore and junior linebacker Nick Roach, all projected starters, did not practice Wednesday due to injury. Walker said Philmore will practice in a week or two, Roach will not play in pads all spring and Fields will be held out until the fall.

Reach Abe Rakov at [email protected].

PigskinPointers

Things to keep your eye on during spring practices

• Key Losses: DL Luis Castillo, OL Trai Essex, RB Noah Herron, LB John Pickens, CB Marvin War
  • Key Returners: QB Brett Basanez, DE Loren Howard, LB Tim McGarigle, OL Zach Strief
  • Spring Injuries: WR Jonathan Fields, WR Mark Philmore, LB Nick Roach
  • Players to Watch: CB Marquice Cole, RB Brandon Roberson