Knight of Ni: Sabreist endures punctured hand in 11th-place finish (Fencing)

Her hand was sore and her glove was bloody, but ’twas only a flesh wound to Mai Vu at the Junior Olympics.

The sophomore sabreist overcame an early punctured hand to finish a career-best 11th at last weekend’s under-20 national event in Arlington, Texas. Vu was one of six Northwestern fencers to compete at the event.

“That was sterling on her part,” Northwestern coach Laurie Schiller said of Vu. “It’s as tough as anything you want to see.”

In her fifth of six pool play bouts Saturday, Vu said she felt a sharp pain when her opponent jabbed her in the palm of her hand.

“I didn’t realize at first and I thought it was just hurt a lot,” Vu said. “But then when I looked it was bleeding through my glove and that’s when I realized that she cut through (the skin).”

Vu had to finish that bout and another with her hand taped and padded before advancing to the tournament round of 64.

She won two rounds before finally bowing out.

“I kind of had a hard time controlling my blade,” Vu said. “I tried to move well on the strip and not have to move my arm that much.”

Vu also said the absence of several of the top junior sabreists, including Olympic gold medalist Mariel Zagunis, helped her earn a higher position.

Five other Wildcats competed at the Junior Olympics, with sophomore foilist Jessica Florendo making her second-straight junior final and finishing sixth out of 119 foil fencers Monday.

“I’m really elated,” Florendo said. “I’m just really happy that I finaled in my last junior tournament.”

Also in their last junior events were sophomore sabreist Sophie Eustis, who earned national points by finishing 29th, sophomore epeeist Sara Pecherek, who finished 99th out of 159, and freshman foilist Natalie Wang, who lost 15-14 in the round of 64.

They all will be too old for junior events this fall.

Florendo said she will miss fencing in the juniors, though getting out of the events is not all bad.

“I’m relieved that I don’t have to travel so much,” she said. “I will have a few more weekends.”

She won’t have this weekend, though, as the Cats travel to South Bend, Ind., for the Midwest Conference Championships.

Although Vu said Monday her hand is “still painful right now,” she expects to fence this weekend pending a visit to the trainer today.

Vu added: “I’m pretty sure it’ll be fine if they just pad it up.”

Reach Patrick Dorsey at [email protected].