Center’s MLK program praises power of unity

On the eve of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Weinberg senior Ayinde Jean-Baptiste had a perfect description for the Civil Rights hero — a dangerous man.

“In truth, Martin Luther King was a revolutionary who was dangerous and committed thought crimes to save us,” Jean-Baptiste said to a crowd of about 80 at the Fleetwood-Jourdain Community Center, 1655 Foster St., on Sunday.

Jean-Baptiste, who is the son of Evanston Ald. Lionel Jean-Baptiste (2nd), delivered a rousing keynote address at the community center’s 20th annual celebration of MLK Day, entitled “The Power of Unity.” The event also featured dance and musical performances.

The younger Jean-Baptiste criticized those in the community who are afraid of getting involved with anything “political,” saying voting is just the first step toward political activism.

“Black visibility is not black power,” he said. “We have no power alone. When our neighbors and friends don’t know where we stand because we don’t want to (discuss) anything political, we are powerless.”

But Jean-Baptiste’s message was not only for the black community — he also mentioned the challenges facing women, immigrants and the Muslim community after Sept. 11, 2001.

Evanston resident Gerri Sizemore said she was inspired by the speech.

“I think it was a speech that everyone in attendance could relate to,” she said.

Evanston Mayor Lorraine H. Morton also addressed the crowd and emphasized the importance of educating the youth about the struggle of those who came before them.

“Let’s not let our children forget that all death shall not be in vain,” Morton said. “Our goal is to push for our youth, so that they … astutely lead us into the future.”

Six-year-old Eli Cohen said he wasn’t disappointed about missing video games to see the program.

“I know that Martin Luther King was a superior and peaceful man,” Cohen said.

His father, Joshua Cohen, felt it was important to bring his family to the event.

“I think that unity is very important and that should be the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King,” Joshua Cohen said. “And it is important for me to pass that on to my children.”

The event also featured artistic performances, including a preview by the Fleetwood-Jourdain dance program of their larger event for Black History Month and an inspirational poetry reading by volunteer Kimberly Jenkins.

The event has a long history at the Fleetwood-Jourdain center, which is at the heart of the African-American community in Evanston.

The event is one of few that is supported by the city. Morton said the city does not want to use money for events that already have been very successful in the private community.

Reach Lensay Abadula at [email protected].