Okies invade Texas for big weekend in Big 12

No. 2 Oklahoma at No. 22 Texas A&M

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Location: College Station, Texas

TV: ABC

Spread: Oklahoma by 12

Records: Oklahoma 8-0, Texas A&M 6-2

Why to watch: The Sooners narrowly escaped its in-state rival last week, which gives A&M a chance to relive its 2002 victory over then-undefeated Oklahoma — and also the chance to avenge last year’s 77-0 beat-down. For those paying attention, though, the Aggies just lost to Baylor. I mean, Don Baylor is more intimidating than Baylor University. Were the Aggies looking ahead? Will A&M QB Reggie McNeal keep the yards and TDs but cut out the turnovers? (He had none all year before committing two last week.) And will anyone ever stop Sooner RB Adrian Peterson?

No. 19 Oklahoma State

at No. 6 Texas

Time: 6 p.m.

Location: Austin, Texas

TV: TBS

Spread: Texas by 12.5

Records: Oklahoma State 6-2, Texas 7-1

Why to watch: The home team is the easy choice here, but the Cowboys haven’t lost on the road this year, and they looked awfully good against the Sooners last week. Still, Texas appears to be living on the margins of the Big 12 — not quite as good as Oklahoma but clearly better than anyone else in the conference. Still, Vince Young must do better than the 8-for-15, 71 yards and two interceptions he posted last week in a win over Colorado.

Notre Dame at No. 9 Tennessee

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Location: Knoxville, Tenn.

TV: CBS

Spread: Tennessee by 7

Records: Notre Dame 5-3, Tennessee 7-1

Why to watch: The University of Football in America — the moniker given Notre Dame by the god among men that is Tony Korneheiser — can’t like the fact that it must play Tennessee and USC on the road (as well as a home game against surging Pittsburgh) down the stretch during this tumultuous season. But the Vols looked vulnerable last week in their 43-29 win at South Carolina, in which they gave up 567 yards to the Gamecocks. But if the bend-don’t-break philosophy works for them, so be it. Just don’t ever underestimate — or overestimate — the Irish.

No. 1 USC at Oregon State

Time: 3 p.m.

Location: Corvallis, Ore.

TV: None

Spread: USC by 17

Records: USC 8-0, Oregon State 4-4

Why to watch: A few weeks ago, I swore I’d never put the Beavers in this column. Well, I lied. Arguably the toughest game left on USC’s schedule, this match-up features an Oregon State team on a three-game winning streak and fighting for bowl eligibility. Meanwhile, USC has an easy weekly task: Get it done.

Mississippi State at Alabama

Time: 5:30 p.m.

Location: Tuscaloosa, Ala.

TV: ESPN2

Spread: Alabama by 17.5

Records: Mississippi State 3-5, Alabama 5-3

Why to watch: As a football game, there isn’t much here despite Mississippi State’s surprising recent success. Instead, this brings Bulldog coach Sylvester Croom back to his alma mater, which made headlines by hiring Mike Shula instead of Croom last year. The Mississippi State coach is sure to downplay all these implications, but there will be a lot of emotion beneath this game’s surface.