BCS’ makeover can’t change its image

The BCS overhauled its ranking system this season, but the new version is not without controversy.

The problem: Oklahoma, ranked No. 2 in both the AP and ESPN/USA Today Coaches polls, is third in the BCS rankings, right behind Miami (No. 4 AP, No. 3 Coaches).

But officials insist the problem is not major.

“It’s obviously very early,” BCS coordinator and Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg said. “It’s important that there not be an overreaction to this poll.”

BCS renovations this year included basing one-third of the rankings on each of the two polls and one-third on a collection of computer formulas. But that wasn’t enough to push Oklahoma into the spot it holds in the polls.

“There is too much of this season left to play for anyone to get too worked up about this now,” Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said.

For now, the Hurricanes are slated to face off with No. 1 USC in the Orange Bowl, this year’s BCS title game.

But Miami barely escaped Louisville at home this past weekend, winning 41-38. Oklahoma’s closest game this season was Saturday’s 31-21 victory at Kansas State.

There still are four other undefeated Division I teams: No. 4 Auburn (7-0), No. 6 Wisconsin (7-0), No. 7 Utah (6-0) and No. 14 Boise State (6-0).

No. 5 Florida State (5-1), No. 8 California (4-1), No. 9 Tennessee (5-1) and No. 10 Georgia (5-1) round out the top 10.

Those clamoring for a playoff are complaining more loudly after seeing this week’s standings, but they don’t have history on their side. Since the system’s 1998 debut, there’s only been one time more than one BCS conference team finished the season undefeated — in 2002, when Miami faced Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl.

Last year was the first time a team won the National Championship without finishing the season undefeated. Sugar Bowl winner LSU finished 13-1.

Staying Young

Texas coach Mack Brown chose not to bench quarterback Vince Young for the Longhorns’ Saturday game, despite the sophomore’s poor passing performance this season.

Speculation arose after Young sat out the second half of last week’s 28-20 victory over Missouri, despite being cleared to play after he was knocked out of the game with a bruised sternum.

Senior Chance Mock, Young’s backup, filled in on Saturday after Young’s injury. Mock completed four of 10 passes for 39 yards, while Young was 3 for 9 with 19 yards and two interceptions.

The Longhorns rank No. 103 in the nation in pass offense; Young has completed 62 of 113 passes this season for 758 yards, eight touchdowns and four interceptions.

Young ran five times Saturday for 53 yards and a touchdown. He’s carried the ball 56 times this season for 331 yards.

His ability to run the ball has distracted defenses, Brown said, creating more opportunities for running back Cedric Benson.

The Longhorns rank second in the nation in rushing, with 293.5 yards per game. They travel to Lubbock, Texas, this Saturday to face the surging Texas Tech Red Raiders.

shooting up

A Tennessee player accused of firing a gun into the air near campus may not get another shot — at least not on the playing field.

Brandon Johnson, a starting safety for the No. 11 Volunteers, was suspended indefinitely following his arrest Monday. Johnson, a junior, was charged with felony reckless endangerment, police said.

Junior defensive back Chris Heath was charged with a misdemeanor: unlawful carrying of a firearm, police said. He has been dismissed from the team.

“Our players are taught to be responsible and accountable,” coach Phillip Fulmer said. “These two young men did not act in a responsible manner and will be held accountable.”

Johnson fired the gun early Monday outside running back Cedric Houston’s apartment, police said. An off-duty police officer living close by heard the shot and saw the safety standing outside, holding the gun, police said.

Both Heath and Johnson were taken to Knox County Jail and released on bond. They will be arraigned on Nov. 24.

Johnson intercepted two passes in Saturday’s 21-17 win over Mississippi. Johnson has 29 tackles, two interceptions and one pass break-up this season.

Reach Pat Dorsey at [email protected].