Keyes, not Bowles III, is true vanguard of Right (Appel Column)

Who knew a candidate trailing by 50 points could be so refreshing?

That’s precisely the case with Republican senate nominee and two-time presidential candidate Alan Keyes — a man who in a two-month period has said Jesus Christ would never vote for Democratic nominee Barack Obama and that Vice President Cheney’s homosexual daughter is a “selfish hedonist.”

Unfunded, unknown Republicans who don’t happen to be running in Massachusetts usually fare better in the polls than Keyes is. Regardless, Alan, keep on with the conviction — you are being true to yourself.

Look no further than the former ambassador’s Web site.

In a section entitled “Keyes vs. Obama on the issues,” the Republican describes himself as pro-life to Obama’s pro-infanticide; pro-worker to anti-worker over trade issues and pro-health versus anti-health with regard to health care.

Obama will continue with his smooth, say-nothing way that has sucked in scores of students on this very campus.

Replacing Ken-doll-like Jack Ryan, Keyes came in to the fray with no shot of convincing Illinois voters to jump aboard his “Moral Express.” As a result, Keyes could just spout out his unfiltered views. Playing on house money, Keyes has made it his goal to make at least one inflammatory comment a day heading up to the election — what a pleasant change of pace.

Beyond the red-hot rhetoric, Keyes showed policy savvy. Offering a confident performance during Tuesday night’s radio debate, Keyes showed he is not attached at the hip to Bush Republicans on health care and other issues.

College Republicans President Henry M. Bowles III and fellow CRs: Keyes stands for what we allegedly believe — why aren’t we jumping behind him? Don’t just give up because the Democrats have a guy with a cool name.

You, Sir Bowles, wrote a letter to the editor not long ago saying you see no value in diversity. You’re obviously not averse to using strong rhetoric in taking a stand, yet you do not support Keyes because “people are turned off by him.” People were “turned off” by your diversity statement — but you stood by your beliefs. It’s time to ignore the polls and take a stand.

Maybe if Republicans — like lonely Northwestern supporter Ryan Morton — stand behind Keyes, people will be turned on to him.