Doing it all: Sit and Spin cast adopts roles of an entire crew for pre-class production

In Sit and Spin’s production of “Five Women Wearing the Same Dress,” high-maintenance beauty queen Trisha probably wouldn’t know how to work with a hammer and the kind of nails that are not on a hand. But Communication junior Johanna Igel and the rest of the cast painted floors, created stage sets and prepared costumes all before their New Student Week show.

After watching three of their fellow classmates in acting class present a funny scene from a play, a group of Communication juniors decided to pursue the production of the show “Five Women Wearing the Same Dress” by Alan Ball. His comedic show presents five issue-ridden bridesmaids who learn about what it is to need a friend. The play takes place in one of the women’s bedrooms where they escape the wedding reception downstairs. Throughout the play there’s talk of sex, drugs and even a little rock-n-roll.

Filled with both light-hearted and serious issues ranging from love and innocence to rape and alcoholism, the show ran Sept. 16 to 18.

Because of the timing of the play, the group decided not only to act in the show, but to help produce it, gather props, help with costumes and construct and decorate the set.

“It was a mutual decision,” Communication junior Lisa Snyder said. “We didn’t want Katie (Foster) to have to do all the work acting as our producer, so we all took on some of her duties so she wouldn’t have to do it by herself.”

Not only did they have to learn and remember their lines over the summer, they had to arrive early to campus in order to spend two weeks rehearsing and preparing the show’s lighting, sound and set. Work was completed with about ten pairs of hands fulfilling the job usually managed by 20 skilled workers.

“It was definitely more stressful,” said Megan Wille, a Communication junior. “Typically we have more time to focus on lines. (The show) suffered a little because we were more tired and had more stressful rehearsals. We often spent too much time on production because we had no final authority and everyone would debate and argue. The show could’ve been better, but I’m proud to be a part of it.”

Others in the “Five Women” cast felt as though the experience of doing double duty was beneficial and fulfilling, as well as amusing.

“Looking back in retrospect, I feel stronger senses of accomplishment because there was more personal involvement in the show,” Communication junior Diana Metzger said. “We got to put our hands in every facet of the show.”

Igel agreed: “It’s been a lot of pressure but it was interesting to find out what goes into making a show. The special part is that it’s ours and it really is ours. Completely.”

Although there were many favorite moments from the show, one cast member pointed out the importance of enjoying oneself. “This!” Igel said, pointing to co-actor Porter riding an exercise bike on the set. “Meaning, we have a good time together always!”

This combination of tech and acting has added a new dimension to Northwestern play production.

“Putting on this show in Shanley (Pavilion) and having such a strong part in everything shows what someone is capable of doing at Northwestern,” Communication junior Katie Foster said. “NU has a lot to offer if you are willing to go out and grab it. I’m blessed to be somewhere you can go out and do this.”

Weinberg senior Amanda Jones is a PLAY writer. She can be reached at [email protected].