Summer and music — a match made in heaven

Dillo Day lineup got you down? Worry not. By Sunday you won’t remember who played, and you’ll have the rest of the summer to kick back, relax and enjoy the music you actually care about. All it takes are open ears and (in most cases, unfortunately) an open wallet. So listen up:

Albums

Beastie Boys, “To The 5 Boroughs” (June 15). The boys are pushing 40, and last year’s anti-war single “In a World Gone Mad” displayed all the subtlety of a frying pan to the head. But Brooklyn’s finest showed no signs of flagging with 1998’s wildly inventive “Hello Nasty,” so chances are “Boroughs” will be worth ch-checking out, too.

Phish, “Undermind” (June 15). Just this Tuesday, Phish announced it will be breaking up in the not-so-distant future. But before the Vermont jam band kings decided to part ways, they got together to record what will likely be their last album — not to mention their first studio effort since 2002’s “Round Room.” Phish mainman Trey Anastasio has said the band wants to go out on a high note, so let’s hope this fits that bill.

Wilco, “A Ghost is Born” (June 22). Neither Jeff Tweedy’s stint in drug rehab nor canceled shows have been able to keep down “Ghost,” the follow-up to 2002’s much-lauded “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.” The album has been circulating on the Internet, and the Chicago Tribune already has labeled it “phenomenal.” Look for Wilco to hit the road with a new six-man band to support the release.

Concerts

You’ve probably already noticed, but living in the third-largest city in the country has its benefits. Music is no exception: Practically every American concert tour makes a point of stopping in the Chicago area, which also is a curse, as many shows sell out quickly. For example, if it’s the Material Girl you’re after, tough luck. Madonna’s four-night stand at the United Center is sold out. And this phenomenon affects smaller shows, too — no tickets remain for eagerly anticipated local dates featuring art-school Britpoppers Franz Ferdinand and endearing indie-rockers The Shins. There still are plenty of concerts to go around, though. Here’s a few:

Chicks With Attitude Tour: Quite frankly, Liz Phair’s recent 30-something crisis is a little baffling — but the North Shore native still has a mighty history of kicking ass, at least musically speaking, so let’s hope she does just that at this hometown gig. With the Cardigans’ Nina Persson and precociously jaded teen rocker, Katy Rose, whose father once played keyboards in Poco. House of Blues Chicago, 329 N. Dearborn, August 4.

Curiosa: Proud gothfather Robert Smith presides over one of the summer’s most impressive bills — a Cure-headlined festival featuring leading lights of today’s ’80s-influenced alt-rock scene, including Interpol, The Rapture, Cursive, Mogwai, Thursday and The Cooper Temple Clause. It may not be “just like heaven,” but it could come close, particularly if Interpol’s Carlos D. sports a funereal suit and tie on a steamy Chicago day. August 12, location TBA.

Lollapalooza: Smiths fans of the world unite and take over: Morrissey is headlining this year’s Lolla, which boasts a lineup so sprawling it takes two days to get through. Mainstage acts include Sonic Youth, Le Tigre, The Flaming Lips, String Cheese Incident, Modest Mouse and The Von Bondies, among many others. July 29-30, Tweeter Center, 19100 S. Ridgeland Ave., Tinley Park.

Taste of Chicago Independence Day Celebration: This show is in the middle of the largest food festival in the country and is headlined by the Old 97’s, some of the most awesome guitar-wielding Texans in existence. Unless the temperature is out of control, I see no way it could be anything less than fantastic. With Counting Crows and the ever-wacky They Might Be Giants. Petrillo Music Shell, Grant Park, July 4.

Prince: Forget 1999. The Purple One has emerged from years of self-imposed exile with a new album and a tour that’s already proving he’s ready to party like it’s 2004. If you’ve got tickets, consider yourself lucky: It’s gonna be as mind-blowing as that scene in “Purple Rain” where Prince stuns the crowd with the title track. Allstate Arena, 6920 N. Manheim Rd., Rosemont. June 25-26, 28-30.

Our poorest picks, summer edition

Britney Spears and JC Chasez: If you’re a fan of actual singing, this is one zone you’ll want to avoid. Tweeter Center, July 17.

Afroman: Now he’s a one hit wonder, and you know why? Because he got high, because he — well, you get the picture. Double Door, 1572 N. Milwaukee Ave., July 6.

American Idols Live!: I love the show and all, but seriously, if I were promoting a tour featuring the likes of “whitest white guy ever” John Stevens and “pen salesman” Jon Peter Lewis, I wouldn’t be using an exclamation point. Eh well. United Center, 1901 W. Madison, August 5.