ASG cuts funding on Greek Week events, cites past problems

During Associated Student Government’s funding season — in which dozens of campus groups received tens of thousands of dollars — one subgroup faces a lack of funds considering the number of students involved: the Greeks.

Student Activities Finance Board recommended more than $775,000 for student groups overall.

But ASG’s two A-status Greek groups — Panhellenic Association and National Pan-Hellenic Council — saw severe cuts in their recommended funding.

Panhellenic Association, which represents all 12 traditional sororities on campus, didn’t request any money this year for its own organization.

However, the group asked for more than $51,000 in a co-sponsorship with NPHC for their annual Greek Week.

But SAFB allocated zero dollars for Greek Week, a move Panhel President Kelly Shimizu called disappointing but understandable considering the funding constraints.

“We realize that SAFB got its allocation money cut, and we felt like we could make that up because we do charge the sororities Panhel dues,” said Shimizu, an Education junior.

Last year, Panhel requested $227 for administrative costs and received slightly more. But Shimizu said through the quarterly Panhel dues each sorority pays, the organization will be able to cover its costs.

Shimizu said Greek Week would benefit Greek members under the campus’ four Greek organizations: Panhel, NPHC, Interfraternity Council and Multicultural Greek Council.

ASG derecognized IFC as an ASG-affiliated group in January.

“The programs that we ask for funding for are for the entire campus,” said Shimizu, adding that fraternities benefit from the programming whether or not ASG recognizes IFC.

Two events were planned for next year’s Greek Week: a concert and NU Perspectives, a quarterly speaker series.

Shimizu said the concert will be cut out entirely because SAFB didn’t approve funding. But Panhel and NPHC will try to appeal for more funding for NU Perspectives, she said.

ASG Financial Vice President and SAFB chairman Zaid Pardesi said Greek Week didn’t receive a recommendation because of continual programming problems.

“We haven’t seen this concert going off in two years,” he said. “We want to see it happen successfully this year, and if they do it well, I’m sure the board will look favorably upon it come supplemental funding in the fall.”

Pardesi said NPHC received funding because of its history with speakers. The group asked for more than $9,700, and SAFB recommended more than $2,600.

“We wanted to see some continuous success with their speakers,” said Pardesi, a McCormick junior.

The derecognition of IFC as an ASG student group hasn’t impacted the finances of the group, said IFC President Mitch Holzrichter.

IFC’s main source of revenue comes from dues each chapter pays according to the number of its members, said Holzrichter, who also serves as business manager for The Daily.

“We don’t anticipate funding will ever be a problem for us,” he said.