Not just standing Pat

Three egg yolks, nine egg whites, one cup of oatmeal, two fat-free yogurts and a protein shake.

And that’s just for breakfast.

A couple of months with menus like those — and strictly regimented weight-lifting and running workouts — and former Northwestern linebacker Pat Durr is 17 pounds heavier and ready for the NFL.

“I’ve always been confident in my abilities,” said Durr, who hopes to be picked up by a pro team in this weekend’s draft. “(After training) I’m a lot faster and a lot stronger. When you have more weight on your body, it gives you more confidence to play at the next level.”

The 6-foot, 1 1/2-inch Durr is one of four former NU players who have declared themselves eligible for the draft.

To prep for playing with the pros, Durr, a St. Charles, Ill., native, spent the past three and a half months living at a training facility in Scottsdale, Ariz., working with trainers Alex Semenick and Ian Danney. Danney, who also trains several NFL players, helped Durr develop a weight-lifting program and diet plan to add lean mass to his frame.

“I wanted to go somewhere where my training would be very exclusive,” Durr said. “A lot of guys go to New Orleans or Florida … to work with these speed gurus.

“The problem is everyone (trains) you and 50 other guys, so you’re not going to get nearly the same type of training.”

Durr’s obviously pretty pleased with the results — besides pushing his weight from 223 to 240 pounds, his body fat is down from 11 to 7 percent. His work on the track sped up his 40-yard dash time from 4.7 seconds on grass to 4.5 on the track.

“He seems very healthy and very happy,” said his mother, Cathi Durr. “He just has a different glow about him. He has this attitude that he’s ready to take on the world.”

But the improvements — both physical and mental — didn’t come without dedication.

Durr’s daily schedule included two-hour sessions of both sprint training and weight training and hours of reviewing NFL films to observe other players’ techniques, he said.

“There were some days where I hated every minute of working out, but I loved the results,” Durr said.

With foods like ice cream out of the question, a sale on sugar-free jello at the local grocery store was the “biggest reward,” he said.

Durr also spent time chatting about life in the NFL with several professional players — like Titans running back Eddie George and Redskins cornerback Shawn Springs — who stopped by to train with Danney.

“They said you just have to be prepared for whatever team you go to,” he said. “You have to go in and just work as hard as you can.”

Like Durr would do otherwise.

Scouts started calling during the middle of his time in training — the Bears, Titans, Broncos, Cowboys and Giants are among the eight to ten teams who have expressed interest, he said.

But while Sports Illustrated rankings place Durr 20th out of 22 potential inside linebackers, some say his past injuries could concern teams.

Durr spent the 2002 season on the sidelines, rehabilitating his knee after a season-ending injury in the first game of the season.

“I haven’t heard a lot of talk about him,” NU coach Randy Walker said. “Obviously the injury will be a concern.

“(But) I know he was a very productive player for us, and if it was up to me I’d draft him in the first round.”

Durr bounced back from the injury and returned for the 2003 season, when he was the second-leading tackler on the team. Now, he says, he’s “never felt better.”

“I think he’s got great leadership ability and great linebacker instincts,” said Durr’s position coach, Pat Fitzgerald. “He’s one of those guys you only had to teach one time and he got it down very quickly.”

While Durr obviously is anticipating this weekend, he said he probably won’t watch the draft on TV.

Instead he’ll be at the local driving range, hitting golf balls.

“Pretty much (my) future is in these people’s hands,” Durr said. “I’d rather just take my mind off of it.”